Mass killer Harry Street sent to secure hospital indefinitely after arsenal of weapons discovered

A mass killer who shot dead five people, including three in the Black Country in 1978, was today sent to a secure hospital indefinitely after he admitted possessing firearms and making a bomb.

Mass killer Harry Street sent to secure hospital indefinitely after arsenal of weapons discovered

Harry Street, previously known as Barry Williams, was sentenced at Birmingham Crown Court after pleading guilty to harassment, possessing homemade guns and making an explosive device.

The 70-year-old was involved in a neighbour dispute at his address in Hall Green, Bimingham. Between 2009 and 2013, police were called a number of times to address complaints between Street and his neighbours. Complaints included issues around loud parties taking place and rubbish being thrown into gardens.

The stash of ammunition found in Street's home.

It was then discovered Street had been drilling through the bricks of his wall and then hammering a metal bar against the neighbour's bricks for maximum noise impact.

In July 2013, Street's neighbours could cope no longer and moved out.

See also:

Over the following months, he scoured local streets before finding their car and targeting his ex-neighbours once more. When the dispute escalated, a local officer carried out extensive research with health partners which finally resulted in his former identity being revealed.

Street was arrested and charged with three counts of possessing firearms with intent to endanger life, possession of ammunition with intent to endanger life, three counts of possession of ammunition, possession of ammunition and harassment. Following his arrest, his house was searched revealing a secret armoury of homemade guns, ammunition and an explosive device.

The hole drilled by Street through his wall, through which he would then 'hammer' a metal bar against the neighbour's bricks for 'maximum noise impact', say police.

Street had previously been sentenced to detention in a secure hospital, after fatally shooting George and Phillip Birkett in 1978 as they worked on a car on the driveway of their Wednesbury home.

After killing the father and son on the driveway of their home on the Bustleholme estate, Street then also killed Iris Birkett as she came to see what the noise was, before then shooting her daughter Jill Birkett - leaving her with serious injuries.

Harry Street back in the 1970s

He then went to their neighbour's house and shot the woman who was on the doorstep at the time. He then turned the weapon on her husband.

Street continued to shoot indiscriminately at houses as he sped off in a Ford Capri. He drove to Nuneaton where he stopped for petrol before fatally shooting the husband and wife managers of the Total Garage. He was arrested the following day in Derbyshire and charged with all five murders.

It transpired that the shootings were sparked by an ongoing neighbour dispute which had all been concocted in Street's mind.

When Street was conditionally discharged from hospital in 1993, he lived in a Birmingham hostel just a few miles away from the murder scene but after a public outcry, he was moved to an address in North Wales.

He then moved several times to addresses in Shropshire, Kidderminster and Birmingham.

Detective Chief Superintendent Kenny Bell, head of force CID, said: "There was no trace of Harry Street on any police systems; but it is thanks to the tenacity of a local police officer who, when the harassment escalated, made extensive checks which led her to Street's GP and his true identity.

"Immediate steps have already been taken to ensure that all relevant information is shared and is accessible. A MAPPA Serious Case Review has been commissioned and I am determined that lessons will be learned."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News