Six jailed after man stabbed, beaten and kept in container - before he was dumped naked in street

Wyre Forest | News | Published:

Six men have been jailed after a man was stripped naked and beaten with hammers before he was stabbed and kept in a storage container.

The 37-year-old victim was held captive for more than 24 hours and put through a terrifying ordeal after he was kidnapped from Kidderminster.

It began when he returned from work at around 10pm on August 3 last year, when he was kidnapped from outside his home in Upton Road.

He was assaulted and bundled into a vehicle by Tariq Mahmood, aged 41, of Castle Hill Drive, Castle Bromwich, Birmingham and Paul Murray 42, of Linwood Court in Birmingham. He was then driven by Robert Watters to a storage container in Coleshill.

The victim was then stripped naked and tortured which involved being beaten with hammers and suffered extensive bruising, two broken ankles, a broken arm and a broken cheek bone.

The gang then moved him from the container the following day to an unknown location where he was repeatedly stabbed. He was taken to an address on Sycamore Road, Handsworth where he was left in the boot of a vehicle for hours.

He was eventually released on August 5 after he was dumped naked in a street in Birmingham where he was found by members of the public and taken to hospital.

Robert Watters, 47, of Chester Road, Castle Bromwich, Birmingham who drove the vehicle used to kidnap the victim admitted conspiracy to kidnap and was sentenced to three years in prison.

Mahmood pleaded guilty to conspiracy to kidnap, false imprisonment and causing grievous bodily harm with intent part way through the four-week trial.


Murray also pleaded guilty to conspiracy to kidnap and false imprisonment part way through the trial. They were sentenced to 17 years and 15 years respectively.

Three other men were all found guilty by a jury.

Tehery Mahmood, 37, of Mears Drive, Stechford, Birmingham, was found guilty of false imprisonment and causing grievous bodily harm with intent and was sentenced to 14 years.

Steven Taylor, 37, of Johnstone Street, Aston, Birmingham, was found guilty of false imprisonment and was sentenced to two and a half years.


Another man was sentenced to 17 years in prison but can not be named due to legal reasons.

Det Supt Paul Williamson who led the investigation for West Mercia Police said: "Kidnapping is a particularly violent and serious criminal offence and the victim in this case was lucky to escape alive but has suffered life changing psychological and physical injuries.

"Despite determined efforts to frustrate the investigation and evade capture, including disposal of vehicles and the container, the investigation team successfully gathered evidence to identify the role played by each defendant who were then tracked down and arrested.

"We would also like to recognise the bravery of members of the public who assisted the victim and the investigation by doing the right thing and calling the emergency services".

West Mercia Police has also been granted confiscation orders against two vehicles used in the course of the commission of the offences.

Robert Collins, 58, of Eastham Court, Severnside, Bewdley is due to be sentenced on September 24.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News