Two men robbed and stabbed in Wolverhampton's West Park

Wolverhampton | News | Published:

[gallery] A manhunt was under way today after two men were stabbed and robbed as they walked through West Park.

The terrifying attack happened just after 6pm last night when the pair were approached by four men near the Devon Road gate entrance who stole a bike they were using.

The two men tried to give chase but when they did, the gang attacked them.

A 34-year-old man was stabbed in the chest and had to stay in hospital overnight. He is in a stable condition today.

A 33-year-old man was treated in hospital for minor injuries and released.

Police described the attack as 'particularly vicious' as they appealed to anyone who was in the park yesterday afternoon to come forward.

Insp Phil Asquith, from Force CID, said: "This was a particularly vicious attack and we continue to investigate the circumstances which led to the robbery.

"We continue to make inquiries to find the robbers who are described as black and in their late teens.

"It is believed they were wearing dark clothing.


"We would appeal to anyone who has any information that could aid our investigation."

Anyone who was in the park yesterday afternoon should contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Police and paramedics were called to the scene just after 6.20pm yesterday and part of the park was cordoned off. West Midlands Ambulance Service confirmed it sent two trauma teams and two ambulances to the scene following reports of the stabbings and robbery. Today residents reacted to the news and spoke of their shock .

Another resident who did not want to be named, said: "I heard lots of sirens and I saw blue flashing lights and a lot of police. There were officers inside the park as well as two ambulances and it was all roped off with tape so nobody could get inside.


"It's very worrying. You don't think this kind of thing is going to happen especially on a quiet Sunday night."

Eye witnesses said they had seen a lot of people inside a shelter near to the lake before the police arrived.

One man who did not want to be named said: "The amount of police there last night means it was not a small incident. We avoid the shelter because there are always groups hanging around in there and drinking.

"The other week there was a house fire in the area that turned out to be a cannabis factory.

"Two police vans were still in the park today and the shelter was taped off along with an area of grass. I think it's quite concerning."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News