Advertising

Elderly will no longer be sent to care home

Wolverhampton | News | Published:

Elderly people are no longer being sent to a newly-opened Black Country care home by the council amid concerns about their welfare.

Elderly people are no longer being sent to a newly-opened Black Country care home by the council amid concerns about their welfare.

Wolverhampton council has temporarily suspended admissions to Bentley Court home, which was opened last year by the group which runs London's renowned Priory rehab centre.

Bosses declined to give any more details about the decision on the Wednesfield property, except to say it involves "safeguarding" issues.

Safeguarding is assisting vulnerable adults to feel safe and secure without risk of harm or abuse.

The 77-bedroom care home, which provides nursing and dementia services and takes residents mostly above the age of 65, opened in September.

It is still accepting privately-funded residents.

Wolverhampton City Council spokesman Tim Clark said today: "The council raised a number of safeguarding issues with managers of Bentley Court following a meeting on December 22.

"The city council has decided to temporarily suspended any new placements at Bentley Court.

Advertising

"This temporary suspension will remain in place until these issues have been investigated and, where necessary, resolved."

Caroline Walker, spokeswoman for the home, said: "We are awaiting the care review detail from the council to help explain the temporary suspension of admissions to the home.

"A meeting is planned with the council shortly to discuss this matter, as we were not informed at the time of the issues arising.

"We hope for a swift resolution as we know that we have people who wish to come into the home," she added.

The Priory Group bills itself as Europe's leading independent provider of mental healthcare.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News