Wolves boss Kenny Jackett confirmed Richard Stearman's imminent departure from the club after the 2-1 win over Charlton.
Stearman was left out of the squad after Wolves accepted a £2million bid from Championship rivals Fulham.
The popular 28-year-old was the club's player of the year last season and has been captain so far this campaign, but Jackett said the decision was down to footballing reasons.
"We've accepted a bid from Fulham," Jackett said.
"As far as we know he's discussing personal terms now.
"It's a football decision, we feel with the quality of our young centre halves and Danny Batth coming back that it's something we can do.
"We wish Richard all the best, we thank him for some xcellent years service for the club and we all wish him the very best of luck in the future."
Jackett admitted selling Stearman was a 'big call' but said it was important to get his squad sorted early in the season.
"He's done very well for me," Jackett added.
"But I didn't feel the mix was right necessarily in the early days.
"And I think we have to make some big decisions. If it's getting some money in and strengthening in other areas it's best to do it early.
"The early games there's been some promise but we do need to get sorted out, we do need to improve.
"The season is still early enough, if we make the key decisions and the big calls. Obviously we all realise within the club this is a big call."
Dutch winger Rajiv van La Parra is also heading for the Wolves exit door.
He too missed the game as he was discussing personal teams with two other clubs, one of which is believed to be Leeds United.
And Jackett said he may need to bring players in before the transfer window shuts on Tuesday.
He added: "Rajiv van La Parra was talking to potentially two clubs today, that was why he wasn't involved.
"If it does break down obviously he's still a Wolves player, but there's potential on that front.
"I'm pleased with the group of players we have but yes if possible we want to improve."Subscribe to our Newsletter