Elderly will no longer be sent to care home

Elderly people are no longer being sent to a newly-opened Black Country care home by the council amid concerns about their welfare.

Elderly people are no longer being sent to a newly-opened Black Country care home by the council amid concerns about their welfare.

Wolverhampton council has temporarily suspended admissions to Bentley Court home, which was opened last year by the group which runs London’s renowned Priory rehab centre.

Bosses declined to give any more details about the decision on the Wednesfield property, except to say it involves “safeguarding” issues.

Safeguarding is assisting vulnerable adults to feel safe and secure without risk of harm or abuse.

The 77-bedroom care home, which provides nursing and dementia services and takes residents mostly above the age of 65, opened in September.

It is still accepting privately-funded residents.

Wolverhampton City Council spokesman Tim Clark said today: “The council raised a number of safeguarding issues with managers of Bentley Court following a meeting on December 22.

“The city council has decided to temporarily suspended any new placements at Bentley Court.

“This temporary suspension will remain in place until these issues have been investigated and, where necessary, resolved.”

Caroline Walker, spokeswoman for the home, said: “We are awaiting the care review detail from the council to help explain the temporary suspension of admissions to the home.

“A meeting is planned with the council shortly to discuss this matter, as we were not informed at the time of the issues arising.

“We hope for a swift resolution as we know that we have people who wish to come into the home,” she added.

The Priory Group bills itself as Europe’s leading independent provider of mental healthcare.

Comments for: "Elderly will no longer be sent to care home"

Mr. W.F. Gilruth

I don't know what all the fuss is about. It is a beautiful home, very pleasant and for a change smells nice and I went round 14 homes at the start and this was the best of all of them.

The staff are very efficient and do an unpleasant task extremely well and I appreciate what they have to do after doing it myself for over 18 months and suffering up to breaking point.

My wife has been there since early October 2009 and I have no worries about her safety or well being and I consider that she is very well looked after and is very happy.

It is a new home and any critism we make is of a constructive nature not destructive and I wish them all well and send my warmest thanks.

bob evans

i totally agree with what mr. gilruth says.My father has been there since august 2009 and is happy there. We moved him from another home so that my mother would not have to travel so far to see him.he is better looked after at bentley court and all the staff are pleasant and well mannered to both the residents and the visitors. Let's hope the matter is resolved as quickly as possible.

Sam

The jobsworths are probably suspicious because the place dosen't smell of wee and the staff can actually respond. When the place has fallen apart and has to employ morons and the paint is peeling, then they'll probably praise it and start forcing people to sell their homes and go back in again.

M. Hadley

My dad moved to Bentley Court in August from another care home. Bentley Court is 100% better than the care home he moved from. The staff are caring and always make visitors feel welcome. I am confident that when we are not there my dad is treated with the respect and dignity that he deserves.There are bound to be teething problems as this is a new home but I am sure that thats all it is.I send my best wishes and thanks to all at Bentley Court.