Hillsborough disaster: WATCH: Walsall GP's horror as 'war zone' unfolded on pitch

Walsall | News | Published:

A GP who tried to save the lives of victims of the Hillsborough Disaster today spoke of his horror as he saw a 'war zone' unfold in front of his eyes.

Walsall doctor Colin Flenley

Liverpool fan Dr Colin Flenley, from Aldridge, was in one of the end pens in the Leppings Lane terrace as the tragedy took place 27 years ago.

The medic revealed how he desperately tried to save the life of one of the two daughters of a Black Country businessman who by complete coincidence had been stood just yards away from him.

He also revealed how he was left 'incensed' after West Midlands Police officers taking his witness statement appeared to only be interested in how much alcohol he had drunk.

Walsall doctor Colin Flenley

The 58-year-old who took part in the original and new inquests said: "You could tell the central pens were absolutely packed. I have stood on the Kop for years and a big crowd sways and moves.

"This crowd was not moving at all.

"You could tell there was something wrong, particularly as some fans were trying to get pulled up to the stand above and some over to our side.We were shouting at the police control box.


"They didn't seem bothered and they had a better view than we did.

"The players came on and started but we were not interested. Something was not right and I noticed one or two people climbing over to get to the pitch.

"I said to an officer I was a doctor and needed to get on the pitch.

"And once I got on there it was chaos.


"You can only liken it to a war zone situation when you are triaging.

"There were bodies on the pitch side, around the penalty area, everywhere. Time slows down.

"I went to five or six people all together.

One of those was the oldest daughter of former Kingswinford businessman Trevor Hicks, Sarah, 19, who died alongside her sister Vicki, 15.

Mr Hicks and Dr Flenley would become friends and it led to Mr Hicks and his wife Jenni becoming Godparents to Dr Flenley's daughter Libby-Jo.

"In the madness I thought probably on 10 or 20 had died," said Dr Flenley. "I didn't realise it was 96. I didn't realise the scale until I saw the pile of coats at the side of the pitch."

After the disaster Dr Flenley was visited by two West Midlands police officers to give a statement.

"They just seemed to be interested in how much I had to drink.

"I had plenty I wanted to tell them, how more lives could have been saved, but they kept asking about what pubs I had been to and whether other supporters were drunk.

"I was incensed. I said to my wife Debbie that it was not right."

At the end of last year, he returned to the stadium for the first time.

He said: "I had no purpose to go back before.

"What surprised me was how it pretty much looks the same.

"It was strange."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News