Leyton Orient 1 Wolves 3 - match report and pictures

[gallery]Wolves clinched the League One title today with a flattering 3-1 win at Leyton Orient.

Although Richard Stearman (17), Bakary Sako (17) and an injury-time belter from substitute James Henry scored, a superb display of goalkeeping from Carl Ikeme was behind Wolves' 30th victory of the season and a club record 14th away victory.

The keeper produced numerous superb saves while Orient had an effort disallowed and twice hit the bar.

The title is Wolves' 10th in their club history and their first since 2009 when they won promotion from the Championship to the Premier League under Mick McCarthy.

Sako shook off the tight hamstring the forced him off after 70 minutes of that game to take his place in a side that showed one change from the starting line-up that beat Rotherham 6-4 on Good Friday with Jack Price returning for Lee Evans in midfield.

Orient were quick out of the blocks and David Mooney had a chance from a dipping volley after just 15 seconds but he got his angles all wrong and it flew well wide.

Wolves were next to show and Kevin McDonald tried his luck with a curling shot after six minutes that keeper Jamie Jones made a falling save to his left to smother.

The visitors then went ahead to take some of the sting out of Orient when Stearman headed home after Danny Batth got across his man to head Michael Jacobs's corner across goal.

Wolves remained dangerous on the break and Sako forced Jones into another diving save with a 25-yard drive in the 25th minute.

Orient should have been level a minute later but the unmarked Mathieu Baudry headed over from six yards out from Dean Cox's cross.

It looked like Wolves got away with a huge penalty shout in the 28th minute when Stearman handled in the box.

The whole of the home support appeared to shout for a spot-kick, but the one man whose opinion mattered, referee Neil Sawrbrick, waved play on.

And within four minutes, Wolves doubled their lead when Sako guided home a first-time shot off the inside of the keeper's left-hand post after helping on a throw-in to Nouha Dicko, who teed him up.

Orient captain Nathan Clarke was booked for a late tackle on Dicko on 39 before the home side ended the first-half with a flourish.

Mooney forced a fine low save from Carl Ikeme after cutting inside Batth on 40 before the Wolves keeper acrobatically tipped over Clarke's header from Cox's corner three minutes later.

Mooney then flashed a header wide under pressure from Cox's corner before Orient finally had the ball in the net on the stroke of the end of normal time at the end of the first half.

Chris Dagnall headed home from almost on the line after Romain Vincelot won a towering header only to see it crash off the bar, but the effort was disallowed as the striker was offside.

Orient started the second half as they had finished the first – on the attack.

Dagnall and Mooney forced Ikeme into fine reaction saves but Wolves couldn't keep them out and Cox halved the deficit when he sidefooted home a loose ball from 15 yards after Ikeme couldn't make the catch from a deep cross under fierce pressure then the defence failed to clear.

Wolves weathered the storm however to attack through Michael Jacobs and he saw a penalty shout waved aside when Clarke blocked off his run on 53.

Dicko then tried to find an unusual route to goal when he flicked the ball across box despite being grounded but no one could apply the finishing touch.

Mooney wasted a chance on the half volley when his effort flew well over after John Lundstram challenged Ikeme.

Wolves gradually began to look threatening again on the break and Dicko's early volley on the run was clawed out of the air in acrobatic style by Jones on 63.

Dave Edwards then saw a fierce, angled volley palmed away by bthe Orient keeper after Price split the defence five minutes later.

But Wolves were indebted to Ikeme in 72nd minute after two breathtaking saves in between Shaun Batt heading against the bar.

The latter brave save, coming as Batt slid in and Ikeme flung himself to his right, left the keeper with blood streaming from his nose and play was briefly held up to allow him treatment.

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News