Manchester United 3 Wolves 2

Battling Wolves suffered last minute heartbreak as Manchester United dumped them out of the Carling Cup in the cruellest fashion.


Battling Wolves suffered last minute heartbreak as Manchester United dumped them out of the Carling Cup in the cruellest fashion.

Goals from George Elokobi and Kevin Foley cancelled out strikes from Bebe and Ji-Sung Park in a pulsating second half which looked set for extra time.

But substitute Javier Hernandez burst through with just 45 seconds of normal time remaining to win it for United.

Wolves were more than a match for the holders, with Matt Jarvis terrorising Wes Brown and Gary Neville to further stake his claim for an England call-up.

Manager Mick McCarthy made seven changes from Saturday's 2-0 defeat at Chelsea, with Stephen Hunt handed his full debut and both teams looked disjoined in a poor first-half.

United bossed possession but failed to break down a stubborn Wolves rearguard.

Bebe did his best to break the malaise by creating the first clear opening after 18 minutes after getting the better of Elokobi to cross for Federico Macheda – whose scuffed effort fell kindly for goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey.

Wolves were frustrating their hosts and defending well in numbers – leaving United with no alternative but to shoot from distance.

As an attacking threat, though, they struggled and David Jones summed up their first half attacking efforts by planting a free kick straight into the wall 10 minutes before the break.

Fresh from a presumed rocking from their respective managers, the sides then produced a rip-roaring second-half.

Macheda flashed one over, Darron Gibson's 40-yard free-kick briefly troubled Hennessey before the goalkeeper was at his best to deny Park after the winger broke clear.

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake's drive was then deflected over by Jonny Evans before United took the lead on 56 minutes.

Bebe wriggled free of Elokobi on the left and his cross deflected off the luckless left-back and looped over the stranded Hennessey.

Foley looked to have cleared off the line but the goal was awarded – with replays suggesting there were millimetres in it.

But Wolves didn't dwell and were level four minutes later, when Jones swung in a corner from the right and Elokobi powered in a six yard header.

Two minutes later, Hunt's curling effort from Jarvis' excellent low cross clipped the bar.

Park shot wide soon after and Macheda fired over as the game reached a frenetic pace and, with 20 minutes remaining, United retook the lead.

Steven Mouyokolo look to have cleared from Macheda but Park took advantage of the loose ball to guide it past an unsighted Hennessey.

It was harsh on Wolves but again they came back just six minutes later, when Ebanks-Blake and Steven Fletcher combined for Foley to turn and shoot beyond goalkeeper Ben Amos

A stunning turnaround following a dire first-half continued, as substitute Marcus Bent tested Amos while Hennessey denied Gabriel Obertan.

Wolves looked to be hanging on for extra time but man of the moment Hernandez bagged the winner with just 45 seconds left of normal time.

The Mexican was spotted by Gibson and bamboozled Mouyokolo to beat Hennessey – despite the goalkeeper getting a hand to his effort.

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News