Leroy Coates shines bright for Summerhill aces

By Nick Elwell | Grassroots | Published:

Leroy Coates proved to be up for the cup with a match-winning display for Summerhill.

Coates was the star turn with a four-goal salvo in a thrilling BP Roberts Cup clash that saw Summerhill finally get the better of Sporting Phoenix United, 6-4 after extra-time, writes Nick Elwell.

Danny Bell and Shaun Weeks also found the net for Summerhill with Sporting replying through Jay Cattell (two), Sam Davies and Wayne Blake.

The Wolverhampton Sunday League will be well represented in the next round of the Birmingham FA Roger Wood Memorial Cup after three sides won their on-field battles while another enjoyed a walkover.

Premier Division heavyweights AFC Jacks had to dig deep to make progress, beating Rickman Rovers Reds 4-1 on penalties after their tie had ended 2-2.

Fellow top-flight outfit Penn Tandoori Sundats enjoyed a more comfortable morning as they came from a goal down to claim a 4-1 success against Lion of Judah.

Another Premier side, SWL Spartak, battled past Frank Parker FC, winning 2-1, while Emerald Athletic were handed a free pass into the next round after their opponents, Weddington Thistle, couldn’t fulfil the fixture.

There is no change at the top of Division One after the three leading sides all tasted success.

Table-toppers TK Wanderers had Paul Phillips (two), Curtis Ellis, Josh Carvel and Patrick Rafferty find the net in their 5-2 triumph at home to Warstones Wanderers.


Second-placed Punjab United Sports ran out 7-4 winners in a lively clash with Balls to Cancer to stay level on points with TK but having played two games more.

AFC Merry Boys are third following a 2-1 win at Royal George.

Royal FC slipped to 4-2 reverse to Tettenhall Royal Oak while Bilbrook Spartans beat Bradmore Social 3-2.

Division Two leaders Belgrade maintained their unbeaten run but had to settle for a draw in their latest outing against UTC Collins.


Belgrade led through Antoine Julien but paid the price for missing a series of chances when Ben Gutteridge bagged a leveller for UTC.

The point moved Belgrade four clear of Essington WMC.

Two late goals earned Tipton Town a 3-2 win over Barley Mow Wanderers, and saw them leapfrog their opponents into third place.

A keenly-contested clash saw Wanderers strike first when Jay Dukes headed home a cross from Adam Lindsay.

Tipton replied early in the second half through Beckham Brazier only for Barley to nose in front again thanks to a header from Paul Nash.

But a dramatic finish saw Tipton strike twice in the blast 10 minutes.

Chris Clarke scrambled home an equaliser before Adam Hill curled a shot into the top corner to clinch the points.

Pilot also left it late to seal victory in their clash with Wednesfield 86.

With 10 minutes left, Enzo Iacono cut the ball back for Oscar Charlesworth to tap home the winner.

AFC Bradmore went down 2-1 at home to Golden Lion.

Connaught United emerged victorious from their mid-table clash at Azaad Sports, winning 3-2.

RG moved into pole position in Division Three thanks to a 2-0 success against title rivals Castlecroft.

Simon Sharma chipped in with both goals in a victory that lifted RG above Castlecroft.

Churchill Royal Oak are up to third after coming out on top of a feisty clash with Hill Top Rangers.

In a game that saw hosts Rangers have two players sent off and Churchill one, the visitors edged home 3-2.

Rangers took the lead through Craig Smith but Churchill were back on level terms before half-time thanks to a strike from Jon Brown.

A penalty from Tom Stokes put Churchill 2-1 up and that advantaged was increased when Alex O’Connor rounded off a mazy run with a smart finish.

Rangers reduced the deficit with a bullet header from Craig Smith but couldn’t find a late leveller.

Mark Giles scored twice and James Giles once to earn Tettenhall a 3-0 win at struggling Wolverhampton Sporting GNST.

It was a case of brothers in arms as Three Cups fired out a title warning to their Division Four rivals.

They bagged an emphatic 5-0 win in their top-of-the-table clash with Black Country Fusion with brothers Connor and Reece Potts leading the victory charge with two goals each.

A smart half-volley from Andre James gave Cups a half-time lead with Connor then cashing in on a mistake from the Fusion keeper to make it 2-0 after the break.

Reece added goals three and four and then saw his sibling round off the scoring.

Saint Michael are sitting third after winning a thriller with second-placed AFC Angel.

An end-to-end clash served up 11 goals with the hosts coming back from 2-1 down to win 6-5.

Kuba Wieczorek topped the goal charts for the winners with a hat-trick while Romek Zapotoczny netted twice and Tobiasz Cichy once.

GSA Wolverhampton also found their shooting boots to bag 9-2 win at AE Noahs Ark.

Watton Wanderers were 3-2 winners at Woodman Inn thanks to two goals from Shamaine Graham and one from Dale Rogers. Ryan Metcalfe struck twice for Woodman.

Steelmans slipped up at home, losing 2-1 to Jacks Bar.

Nick Elwell

By Nick Elwell
Grassroots Sports Editor


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News