Stour wait on fitness bulletin

By Nick Elwell | Grassroots | Published:

Stourbridge are checking the fitness of several key players before heading to Otley on Saturday aiming to build on Saturday’s win over Sedgley Park.

Mark Harrison breaks the Sedgley defence to score his second try (Photo: Ceri Davies)

The 36-29 victory at Stourton Park, which included a hat-trick of tries from Mark Harrison, saw them stop the rot after a run of three straight defeats in National Two North.

But the win may have come at a price with Hal Riley suffering a calf injury following a fearsome collision, while George Morgan, Sam Montieri and Reece Beddows are also doubts for the trip to Otley.

Stour at least head north with renewed confidence after a much-needed result, in a game which saw nine tries scored and the lead change hands three times.

Harrison got the hosts on the board first when he pounced on a loose ball and broke a series of tackles to outstrip the defence and score, Rickie Aley adding the extras.

The visiting Tigers were quickly back on level terms, Jamie Harrison releasing Rob Holloway to score out on the left wing. After a series of penalties, Stour regained the lead when a maul ended with ‘bowling ball’ Jack Lea touching down.

But the Tigers were not going away quietly. Jamie Harrison went over to level the score at 14-14 and it needed the second try for his Stour namesake to edge the hosts ahead at the break.

The lead did not last long into the second half, with a Liam Canning converted try seeing Sedgley Park get their noses in front for the first time.

Cue Harrison, who completed his hat-trick with a trademark run down the right touchline.

Breathing space was then secured courtesy of James Seabrook’s first-ever Stour try.

After Aley was sinbinned, Stephen Collins cut the deficit to ensure a nervy finish. But Stour were not to be denied an important win.

Nick Elwell

By Nick Elwell
Grassroots Sports Editor


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star


UK & International News