Storm at the double to go into second

By James Driver-Fisher | Grassroots | Published:

A double podium for Storm Stacey ensured he left Oulton Park second in the championship following an eventful round.

Stacey sits second in the British Motostar Championship after two rounds. Picture: David Johnston Motorsport Photography

The Staffordshire FPW Racing rider was back in British Motostar action, in the Moto 3 class, on the undercard of the British Superbike series over the weekend.

And the Eccleshall star left a very happy 14-year-old after securing a brace of second-place finishes.

Hot, sunny conditions prevailed throughout the Bank Holiday and Stacey qualified third for Sunday’s opening 10-lap race.

Battling with the leaders, he hit a raised kerb at Cascades but was still able to pass Asher Durham for second place at Lodge.

After making set-up changes overnight, Stacey was back out for the second 14-lap race on Monday – and was faced with track temperature hitting 43 degrees.

Again starting from third, he endured a race-long battle with championship leader Jake Archer, setting the fastest lap along the way, but after being hit by back markers crossed the line in second, 0.044 seconds behind.

Stacey will switch back to British Talent Cup action next, with round two taking place at Donington Park on the under card of the World Superbike series, May 25-27.

Michael Rutter has turned his attention to road racing for the next four weeks after enduring a round to forget at the Cheshire track.


The Brierley Hill-born rider broke down on the third lap during round three of the National Superstock 1000 at Oulton Park.

But with crashes and accidents happening all around him, he added he was pleased to come away from the round unscathed with his first road race meeting of the year, the North West 200 in Northern Ireland, taking place from Tuesday until May 19.

The Bathams rider had slotted into fourth but following a technical issue the 46-year-old had to retire at the end of lap three.

Rutter said: “It’s been a tough, hectic weekend and with so much happening over the next month with the North West 200 and TT coming up, I’m pleased to have come through unscathed although disappointed not to have got a result.”


The Wigley twins endured another ‘disastrous’ meeting as both brothers crashed out during round three of the British Supersport series.

Kurt, 22, from Hednesford, said: “Practice and qualifying had gone quite well but when it came to the race we were still losing a lot of speed and time around the corners so, again, I was trying to make up time by braking late.

“I’m still not sure what happened but the bike just went from underneath me. It didn’t even seem that bad.

“I hadn’t realised when the bike landed on me it had damaged my ankle but as the evening arrived it was got a lot worse. I went out for practice the following day but couldn’t change gears so I had to bring it in. I was so gutted – our luck has got to change soon.”

His brother, Matt, had been progressing well until his bike hit electrical problems, which meant he was stuck in one gear and also forced him to retire, following his 22nd-placed finish in race one.

Fellow rider Josh Hiatt, 15, from Heath Hayes, was the only team member to make any real progress, securing an 18th and 13th-placed finish in the standard class of the British Motostar series.

Kurt added: “He had never raced around Oulton, so we walked the circuit with him during the evenings and went through all the data after each lap. He had a positive weekend but it was frustrating for the rest of us.”

The BSB series now heads to Snetterton, June 15-17.

James Driver-Fisher

By James Driver-Fisher

Motorsport journalist and entertainment and food reviewer for the Express & Star and Shropshire Star.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News