Young Wolves made to pay the penalty in Checkatrade Trophy

By Jamie Brassington | Wolves | Published:

Wolves Under-21s lost 4-2 penalties on to Scunthorpe United in their opening game of the Checkatrade Trophy group stage.

Josh Morris of Scunthorpe United, Sadou Diallo of Wolverhampton Wanderers and Matthew Lund of Scunthorpe United. (AMA/Sam Bagnall)

The clash ended goalless after 90 minutes resulting in a draw for Wolves, earning them one point, but they missed out on a bonus point from losing the penalty shooutout. Niall Ennis and Max Kilman scored for Rob Edwards' side from the spot but Pedro Goncalves and new-signing Sadou Diallo missed as the home side claimed victory.

Both Wolves and League One outfit Scunthorpe had chances to score at Glanford Park with Benny Ashley-Seal and Ennis going close for the visitors.

Will Norris was called upon in the closing moments of the game to deny Scunthorpe before the game went to penalties by tipping the ball over the bar.

Meanwhile, former Wolves shot-stopper Jon Flatt was in the opposition goal and helped his new team secure victory.

Boss Edwards set-up up his starting line-up in a 3-4-3 formation resembling that of Nuno Espirito Santo’s senior team.

The first attempt on goal came from Ryan Giles, who showed great dribbling skills and pace to run the length of the pitch and shoot over from 18 yards.

Wolves went close again minutes later when Andrew Harris-Sealy turned quickly on the edge of the box but he fired his shot wide.

Giles was in among the action again and crossed in a dangerous low ball on 15 minutes which was just out of reach for Ashley-Seal and Harris Sealy to get to.


Ashley-Seal was sent through on goal in the first half’s closing moments but he saw his close range shot blocked.

The forward was knocking on the home side’s door again early in the second half when he cut into the box on his left before shooting and his effort was saved by Flatt.

Norris kept the scores level in the closing stages with a brilliant finger-tip save to deny Cameron Burgess’ looping header, leading to penalties.

Scunthorpe began first and Charlie Goode had his penalty saved by Norris. Pedro Goncalves fired his penalty over the bar before Matthew Lund scored. Diallo had his penalty saved by Flatt before Ryan Colclough extended Scunthorpe’s lead to 2-0.


Ennis got Wolves firing and scored before James Horsfield netted. Kilman scored Wolves second but Burgess bagged the winner.

Wolves next face Mansfield Town in the competition before playing Lincoln City in their final group game.

Wolves: Norris; Buur, Molberg, Kilman, John, Giles; Diallo, Goncalves, Harris-Sealy (Alves 87’), Ashley-Seal, Ennis (c).

Referee: Thomas Bramall.

Attendance: 874.

Jamie Brassington

By Jamie Brassington
Senior Multi-Media Journalist - @JamieB_Star

Senior reporter at the Express & Star. Contact me at


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News