Penalty miss proves costly for Wolves youngsters

Wolves | Published:

Stourbridge progressed into the quarter-finals of the Birmingham Senior Cup after overcoming a youthful Wolves side 2-1 at Amblecote.

Jose Nuno Xavier celebrates his goal

A missed penalty in injury time cost the Wolves youngsters, who could have forced a penalty shootout, writes Paul Jenkins.

A minutes’ silence was held before the game for Cyrille Regis, who played for Wolves and was also a close friend of Glassboys boss Gary Hackett.

Stourbridge took charge in the early stages, Kyle Perry shooting just wide before they took the lead on 16 minutes when a volley from Aaron Forde flew plast Jonathan Flatt in the Wolves goal.

Jack Duggan doubled the lead on 18 minutes when he met Tom Tonks’ corner with a header which gave Flatt no chance.

Wolves found their feet and Ross Finnie fired an angled shot which forced keeper Matt Gould into a good save.

Ming Yang Yang volleyed wide before Jose Nuno Xavier reduced the deficit right on half-time with a cross-come-shot that found its way into the net.

Wolves substitute Jordan Allan had the best chances for the visitors in the second half, producing a shot which was blocked by Gould and then shooting wide of the target.

William Randall also went closed when he skipped past two players to the edge of the box but skied his effort.


The penalty came about two minutes into injury time when Flatt left his area to join the attack but was tripped.

Allan saw his shot well saved by Gould and Stourbridge will now play Coleshill away in the last eight.

Stourbridge: Gould; Green; Hall; McCone (Pierpoint 23); Duggan; Forde; Tonks (c) (Hague 61); Cooke; Perry; Gater; Shearer. Unused subs: Cameron; Evans; Gomes.

Wolves: Flatt; Rainey (Samuels 78); Osbourne; Finnie; Simpson; Odoffin (c); Heredia (Carnat 60); Levingston (Allan 60); Xavier; Yang Yang; Randall. Unused subs: Watt; John.

Attendance: 523


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News