Blast from the past: Wolves' 1980 Cup win

Sport | Published:

It proved to be one of the most famous matches in Wolves' 138-year history.

A cup win came against the European champions in front of a packed Wembley that was a sea of gold and black, writes Joseph Masi.

Tomorrow marks the 36th anniversary of Wolves' historic League Cup win over Nottingham Forest – the last time the club won a major trophy.

John Barnwell's side entered the clash as huge underdogs with Forest bidding for a unique League Cup hat-trick.

Despite the form book predicting a tough encounter – it was a game Forest did not expect to lose – and perhaps the reason they did.

Their success at home and abroad meant they had a great deal of experience of major cup finals.

But Wolves assistant boss Richie Barker made a bold tactical switch just two hours before the game.

Barker decided to move Peter Daniel wide to block the dangerous John Robertson and bring Kenny Hibbitt inside to support the strike force.


The coach had studied Forest in their previous outing – a 4-0 league win over Spurs – and was firmly convinced that if Robertson could be checked, Wolves could put out Forest's fire.

Wolves had quality of their own of course, with Britain's most expensive signing Andy Gray leading the line up front.

And it was fitting that Daniel, who did his job magnificently, was the man who assisted Gray for what proved to be a 66th minute winner.

It was a goal that produced one of the loudest roars Wembley had ever heard.


It was also deserved ,with little Willie Carr having bossed the midfield while defensive duo Emlyn Hughes and George Berry put on a master-class to handle the threat of Garry Birtles and Trevor Francis.

The result spelled the end of a 26-game unbeaten run in the League Cup competition for Forest.

When Hughes lifted the trophy, the scene was met with jubilation by Wolves fans – many of whom had sneaked into the Forest end of Wembley to see their team make history.

The celebrations continued long after with Barnwell and his players walking around the pitch to clap the supporters who had roared them on.

They were even joined, at one stage, by Forest boss Brian Clough who also felt the need to acknowledge the contribution Wolves' fans had made to the occasion.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News