Kenny Jackett frustrated as Wolves' unbeaten run fizzles out

Sport | Published:

Frustrated Kenny Jackett today accused Wolves of failing to adapt to the conditions and test posed by Crawley after losing their 10-match unbeaten run last night.

John Gregory's side ended Wolves' run of 10 games without defeat by stunning the League One leaders with a deserved 2-1 win as the visitors failed to get their passing game going on a bobbly pitch.

James Henry's 25th-minute lead was cancelled out within a minute by Billy Clarke before Matt Tubbs' lobbed winner six minutes later.

It was the first time Jackett's side had conceded more than once since the 3-3 draw at Rotherham on December 21 and ended hopes of a equalling a club record five straight away wins.

"The game generally passed us by – particularly in the second half – and it was a big frustration because it was a game in hand," said head coach Jackett.

"We have to earn everything we get in this division and we didn't do enough, earn enough or create enough chances.

"They played the conditions much better than us and adapted to it and we didn't learn from it.

"They repeatedly put the ball in behind and made our usual game very difficult. At times I thought our shoulders slumped; we got frustrated and that's not the way to go either."

Last night's game was Wolves' fourth of nine in 28 days but Jackett insisted his players aren't running out of steam.


"I certainly hope they're not – they certainly don't lack any preparation," he said.

"It's important we bounce back and whatever the conditions throw at you, you must adapt.

"It was very difficult for our flair players to get past people and for them to cross and shoot.

"We tried different ways of trying to adapt tactically but it didn't come off."


Jackett admitted his decision to take off Michael Jacobs after just 36 minutes to bring on Leon Clarke and switch to a 4-4-2 formation was tactical.

"We changed it a couple of times but I felt we needed two up front to have some physical presence," he said.

"We had a great chance straight after Leon came on when James Henry followed his flick and it came back off the keeper and he put it over the bar.

"But as the second half wore on, it was very difficult for us to create anything, or to get the ball wide or in behind."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News