Advertising

Wolves stand by under-fire Mick McCarthy

Sport | Published:

Wolves today insisted it was business as usual after quashing rumours that manager Mick McCarthy had been sacked.

Wolves today insisted it was business as usual after quashing rumours that manager Mick McCarthy had been sacked.

Internet messageboards and social networking site Twitter were swamped with the rumours yesterday afternoon that McCarthy had been dismissed following Saturday's 3-2 home defeat to Villa.

That reverse stretched Wolves' run to two wins in 20 games and plunged the team into the relegation zone for the first time this season, sending the rumour mill into overdrive.

The Express & Star received a record number of online responses following the game from livid supporters.

McCarthy is today ranked as favourite in the list of Premier League managers to be sacked, at 2-7, despite rumours last night that betting on him had been suspended.

But, although poor results continue to increase the pressure on McCarthy, senior sources at Molineux denied the speculation surrounding the manager, who has been in charge for five-and-a-half years.

There was no official comment from the club as Wolves didn't want to respond to speculation or deliver what could be seen as a vote of confidence.

Officials say nothing has changed and they are keen to sign another player before the transfer window shuts in nine days' time.

Advertising

Chief executive Jez Moxey said: "We're working hard as we always do to see if we can bring in a third signing of the window."

Nedum Onuoha was McCarthy's main transfer target but Wolves appear to have missed out on the 25-year-old because of his wage demands, although they did speak with his club Manchester City on Friday.

QPR agreed a fee of £3m with City but the move hasn't yet gone through, with reports of late interest from Everton.

Meanwhile, McCarthy admitted Wolves weren't good enough after their latest setback. Wolves were 2-1 up at half-time after producing some of their best football this season. But they went down 3-2 after Robbie Keane's brace.

McCarthy said: "It's just not good enough. Based on the first-half performance, when we were terrific, we should have won. We let them off the hook."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News