Robson-Kanu, former Baggies youngster Tyler Roberts – who now plays for Leeds – and Stoke’s Rabbi Matondo were all sent home today and now won’t feature in tomorrow's crucial World Cup qualifier against the Czech Republic.
There is no suggestion the three players broke Covid rules, with Wales working in a strict bubble during the international break. A statement released by the Football Association of Wales said: “Three members of the Cymru senior national squad – Hal Robson-Kanu, Rabbi Matondo and Tyler Roberts – have been released from the Welsh camp today after breaching FAW protocol.
“The three players will be returning to their respective clubs this afternoon.
“The FAW will not be making any further comment.”
Roberts, who joined the Baggies aged seven before leaving in 2018, apologised for his behaviour on Instagram and suggested the protocol breach was for staying up too late.
“Gutted to be leaving the camp early, but rules are rules and I shouldn’t have been up later in the hotel than the set time,” he said.
“Sorry to the team, staff and Wales fans. I will continue to work as hard as I can to earn my place in the squad for the Euros.”
Robson-Kanu didn’t feature in Wales’ World Cup qualifying defeat by Belgium last week but he did come off the bench during Saturday’s 1-0 friendly win over Mexico. The former Reading forward has featured 15 times for the Baggies this season.
But he is out of contract this summer – with it not yet clear whether or not he will be offered a new deal.