Kidderminster Harriers 0 Stafford Rangers 0 - Report

Stafford Rangers are still in with a chance of causing an FA Cup upset after holding higher ranking Kidderminster Harriers to a goalless draw in a closely fought second qualifying round clash at Aggborough.


The replay will be at Stafford’s Marston Road headquarters on Tuesday (7.45pm).

Happy Rangers deserved a second bite of the cherry after a hard working display in which their well organised defence made life difficult for boss John Pemberton’s men.

Kidderminster, facing Boro for the first time in a competitive match since March, 2008, made one change from the side which sealed their first home win of the campaign the previous Saturday when they beat Altrincham 2-0 in National League North. Harry Higginson was drafted in for unavailable defender Ryan Johnson.

Rangers, who went into the tie without a win so far this season in the Northern Premier, conceded a corner inside the opening couple of minutes, but Declan Weeks’ kick was headed high and wide by Rhys Williams.

Harriers, knocked out by Stourbridge in the third qualifying round last term, continued to make the early running and a low cross from Ashley Chambers reached Richard Peniket whose close range effort was blocked on the line before the ball was safely gathered by goalkeeper Lewis King.

Just before the quarter of an hour mark a good build up by the hosts resulted in Correy Davidson sending over a cross which found Chambers whose firm header was smartly held by diving King, who was then forced to pull off another quick-fire save to deny Peniket.

King was again called on to keep out a shot from Davidson before Stafford had their first serious attempt on goal on 32 minutes when a drive by Joe Berks was neatly saved low down by goalkeeper Tom Palmer.

Shortly afterwards a cross shot by Joshua Green sailed wide of the far post. It followed a speculative 50 yard lobbed shot from Weeks which went wide with Lewis off his line.

Five minutes before the break Harriers went close to breaking the deadlock when his first time shot hit the outside of a post following a cross from substitute Alex Prosser, who had been brought on to replace injured Peniket after 35 minutes.

On the stroke of half time Ed Williams was thwarted when he saw his 18 yard shot well tipped over the bar for a fruitless corner by King.

Rangers forced an unproductive corner in the second minute of the second period before Harriers raced up-field to gain a flag kick of their own which came to nothing.

Both sides continued to slug it out before a wickedly deflected shot from Sam Coulson was well saved by the quick moving Palmer.

Harriers went on to huff and puff but were unable to break through the visitors untiring defence in which King pulled off a good save in stoppage time to deny Prosser.

Kidderminster: Palmer; Moyo, R. Williams, Higginson (Shenton, 75); Austin, Weeks, Butterfield, Davidson; E. Williams; Chambers, Peniket (Prosser, 35). Subs not used: Mountjoy, White, D. Lowth, S. Lowth, Digie.

Stafford: King; J. Burns, Jones, D.Burns, Green; Berks (Briscoe, 67), Harvey, Coulson, Davies (Haworth, 82); Garnett, Charles (Sherratt, 89). Subs not used: Hill, Bignot, Dixon, Burnett.

Referee: Richie Watkins.

Attendance: 950 (129 away fans).

Most Read

Most Read

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News