Harriers’ long unbeaten away run is over with Hereford defeat

Kidderminster Harriers surrendered their unbeaten league record away from Aggborough as they played for over an hour with 10 men following the dismissal of Amari Morgan-Smith, going down 3-1 to a resurgent Hereford.

Hereford created an early opportunity – Kyle Finn crossing for Lennell John-Lewis, who headed over the bar – but the visitors responded as former Harriers keeper Brandon Hall parried Omari Sterling’s cross- come-shot for a corner.

The resultant eighth-minute corner was only partially cleared and Luke Maxwell fired the loose ball into the net to give the visitors the lead.

Hereford adjusted and replied almost immediately John-Lewis beat Lowe to a long ball, Kyle Finn raced towards the heart of the visitors’ defence setting up former Harriers midfielder James McQuilken to slide the ball across Luke Simpson into the bottom corner of the net for the equaliser.

The visitors were reduced to 10 men on 27 minutes when striker Amari Morgan-Smith was shown a red card by referee Mulhall for a collision with Hall as he tried to connect with Sterling’s through-ball – his second dismissal of the campaign following his sending off in the opening-day encounter with Chester.

Five minutes before the break, Hereford had a good chance to take the lead, but Chris Camwell’s driven free-kick deflected off a teammate for a goal-kick.

In first-half stoppage time, Harriers’ Ashley Hemmings whipped in a free-kick that Cliff Moyo flicked goalwards, but Yan Klukowski diverted over his own bar to leave the sides level at half- time.

After the restart, Hemmings sent a low cross just a yard ahead of the fast moving Sam Austin, but the visitors were rocked back by a stunning goal four minutes into the second period.

Tom Owen-Evans drew Alex Penny infield and slipped a ball in for Camwell, who moved the ball onto his left foot and crashed home an unstoppable 25-yard drive, leaving Luke Simpson motionless as the ball flew into the net to put Hereford ahead for the first time in the match.

The pace of the game continued at a high tempo, both defences commanding as the pace of the Harriers forwards were nullified with some intelligent interceptions by Jared Hodgkiss and Jamie Grimes.

Substitute Mooney went close to converting a low centre with 10 minutes remaining as Hereford exploited the advantage of having the extra man and of the two sides the home side looked likely to add to the tally.

Hereford secured the three points as Lennell John-Lewis powered a firm header into the roof of the net from Owen-Evans’ corner on 81 minutes for his 11th goal of the campaign to make it 3-1.


Hereford: Hall, Hodgkiss, Klukowski, Grimes, Camwell (Coke 77), Finn, Lloyd, McQuilken (Mooney 62), Haines, Owen-Evans, John-Lewis (Forsyth 86). Subs not used: White, Dylan Jones.

Harriers: Simpson, Penny, Richards, Moyo, Lowe, Maxwell (Prosser 67), Austin (Martin 85), Montrose, Hemmings, Morgan-Smith, Sterling (Arthur 71). Subs not used: Palmer, Taylor.

Most Read

Most Read

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News