Sam’s super strike fires Harriers to victory

A spectacular goal by Sam Austin ensured Kidderminster Harriers made it eight National League North matches without defeat following their 1-0 win over Curzon Ashton at Aggborough.

Kidderminster in action (Photo: Paul France/Write Angle Media)
Kidderminster in action (Photo: Paul France/Write Angle Media)

The roving midfielder scored with a beautifully struck first half pile-driver to earn second-in-the-table Harriers three hard-earned points. Kidderminster, who went into the game on the back of five wins and two draws in their previous seven outings, were forced to make one change from the side which won 3-0 at home to Alfreton Town earlier in the week.

Defender Alex Penny was ruled out with food poisoning and replaced by Max Taylor. Midfielder Jim Kellermann, available again after completing a three match suspension for being sent off in the recent 1-1 draw with Leamington at Aggborough, was named among the substitutes.

Harriers were rapidly out of the starting blocks and forced a corner in the first minute, but Ashley Hemmings’ kick was powerfully headed out of the danger zone.

Aggborough manager Russ Penn’s men kept up their early momentum and a teasing cross from Austin gave the visitors’ rear-guard cause for concern before they booted the ball well clear.

Another menacing cross, this time by Cliff Moyo, reached Omari Sterling who stabbed his first time shot wide of the target.

Curzon’s first serious raid arrived after nine minutes when Jude Oyibo broke through, but his shot was blocked before being safely gathered by goalkeeper Luke Simpson, who shortly afterwards had more difficulty in keeping out an effort from the same player.

The Nash forced their first corner on 16 minutes, but it came to nothing and soon after Taylor did well to block an effort from former Kidderminster loanee Dominic Knowles.

Hard working Harriers finally broke the deadlock in the 36th minute when Austin turned quickly and pulled the trigger on a terrific 30-yarder past helpless goalkeeper Cam Mason.

They soon set about attempting to increase their slender lead in the second half with Moyo trying his luck with a long range effort which sailed wide before Knowles did likewise for the visitors shortly afterwards. Striker Knowles then went within inches of scoring when he connected with a cross from substitute Alex Curran, but it failed to knock the hosts off their route to victory.


Kidderminster: Simpson; Lowe, Moyo, Taylor, Richards; Montrose, Maxwell, Austin (Arthur, 87); Hemmings (Kellerman 76), Sterling (Prosser, 63), Morgan-Smith. Subs not used: Palmer, Kellermann, White.

Curzon: Mason; Hanson, Poscha, Tharme, Waters, Stokes (Whitham, 64); Walker, Evans (Curran, 75), Hughes (Mahon, 64); Knowles, Oyibo. Subs not used: Southern, Curran.

Referee: Richard Aspinall.

Most Read

Most Read

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News