Kidderminster Harriers 1 Spennymoor Town 1 - Report

Relegation threatened Kidderminster Harriers picked up a valuable National League North point with a 1-1 draw against play-off hopefuls Spennymoor Town at Aggborough.

 Kidderminster Harriers 1 Spennymoor Town 1 - Report
Kidderminster Harriers 1 Spennymoor Town 1 - Report

They shared the spoils thanks to an Ashley Chambers equaliser after Moors had taken the lead through Rob Ramshaw.

The deadlock ended Harriers’ grim run of three defeats on the bounce and leaves Jimmy Shan’s men four points away from the drop zone.

Kidderminster, who suffered a 2-1 defeat at Spennymoor in late September when Chambers was again on target, made a handful of changes from their previous outing when they lost 1-0 at home to Blyth Spartans.

Teenage Wolves striker Austin Samuels, signed on loan until the end of the season, came in for his debut, while defender Ryan Johnson returned after suspension to replace Harry Higginson.

Leading scorer Chambers, back in the starting line-up after injury, came in for Ethan Freemantle while former West Brom youngster Samir Nabi, another newcomer to Aggborough, was named among the substitutes.

Ashley Hemmings tried his luck for Kidderminster inside the busy opening few minutes, but his speculative long range shot flew well off target.

Ollie Shenton then whipped in a strong cross which sparked appeals for a penalty when Samuels fell inside the area while being challenged by James Curtis.

The visitors responded in the 12th minute with a shot from Lewis Butroid which was well saved at the foot of the post by quick moving goalkeeper Will Mannion.

At the other end Shenton had a downward header blocked by Nathan Buddle following a teasing cross from Sam Austin.

Just after the half hour mark Hemmings did well to set up Samuels for a shot, but his scuffed effort was cleared off the line by Tyler Forbes.

Hemmings later followed up with a 25 yard shot which was fumbled away for an unproductive corner by goalkeeper Matthew Gould.

Spennymoor, however, broke the deadlock in the 36th minute when an excellent build up involving Glen Taylor, James Roberts and Forbes led to Ramshaw steering the ball confidently past Mannion from close range.

Shortly afterwards Harriers were denied an equaliser when a shot from Hemmings was cleared off the line by Taylor.

But they were bang on target five minutes before the interval when man-of-the match Chambers lifted a back header over the outrushing Gould and into the net after the chance had been created by Hemmings.

The game continued a lively pace following the break and after an hour Harriers had the ball in the net again but Hemmings’ headed effort, following a fine cross from Johnson, was disallowed for off-side.

A couple of minutes later Spennymoor’s Andrew Johnson saw his free kick glance off the top of the bar and then soon after Mannion was called on to save from Taylor.

Harriers went close on 82 minutes when Forbes cleared a Chambers shot off the line before the same player headed just over while under pressure.

Kidderminster: Mannion; Austin, Moyo, Lowe, Johnson, Shenton (Davidson, 75); Hemmings, Butterfield, Prosser; Chambers, Samuels (Freemantle, 85). Subs not used: Palmer, Nabi, Digie.

Spennymoor: Gould; Forbes, Buddle, Curtis, Butroid; Roberts, Chandler, Henry, Johnson (Anderson, 85); Ramshaw; Taylor. Subs not used: Mason, Earing, Boyes, Cogden.

Referee: Matthew Corlett (Liverpool).

Attendance: 1,259 (46 away fans).

Most Read

Most Read

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News