Pitch invader faces lifetime ban for offering referee glasses in Kidderminster match

By Liam Keen | Kidderminster | Kidderminster Harriers | Published:

A pitch invader who offered a football referee a pair of glasses after a penalty decision against his team is set to receive a lifetime ban from Kidderminster Harriers.

The fan offering the glasses to the referee. Photo: Paul France / WriteAngleMedia

Fans were left furious when referee Kristian Silcock awarded a penalty to Leamington FC after Josh March was brought down in the box.

After March scored the penalty in the 40th minute of Saturday's 2-2 draw, a Harriers fan ran onto the field and offered Mr Silcock a pair of glasses before being ushered away by a steward.

The club released a statement in the aftermath of the National League North game and said that the fan will now receive a lifetime ban.

They said they were "extremely disappointed" by the first-half incident and urged any fans that are "intent on spoiling" games to "stay away" from Aggborough Stadium.

A statement from the club read: “Kidderminster Harriers are extremely disappointed with scenes that saw a ‘supporter’ enter the field of play during Saturday’s fixture with Leamington.

“The club, as it does routinely, made clear online, in its match day programme and over the public address system on Saturday, it’s position on antisocial behaviour at matches.

“Such behaviour leads to action being taken against the club by the game’s governing bodies in the form of warnings and, in some cases, heavy fines.

“Therefore the club, with this in mind, plans to issue a lifetime ban from all club facilities to one individual in the wake of Saturday’s game, after consultation with police.


“We will not give the individual the satisfaction of notoriety by commenting on the incident further.

“The club will not hesitate to take similar action again in future and would urge the smallest minority of fans who are intent on spoiling the enjoyment of others, to stay away from Aggborough Stadium for good.”

Mr Silcock went on to send off Leamington striker Jack Edwards in the closing nine minutes for his high tackle on Harriers defender Cliff Moyo.

Despite being reduced to 10 men, the visitors snatched a draw with five minutes left through substitute Kaiman Anderson.

Liam Keen

By Liam Keen
Sports Reporter - @LiamKeen_Star

Sports journalist at the Express & Star, primarily covering Walsall FC and grassroots sport across the Black Country and Staffordshire. Got a story? Get in touch on 01902 319456.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News