Kidderminster Harriers 2 Stockport 2 - Report and pictures

By David Banner | Kidderminster Harriers | Published:

Dramatic late goals from Fraser Horsfall and Manny Sonupe enabled Kidderminster Harriers to roar back from being 2-0 to draw 2-2 with Stockport County in the second round of the Buildbase FA Trophy at Aggborough.

The replay will be at Edgeley Park on Tuesday (7.45pm)

Jason Oswell and Darren Stevenson gave the Hatters a 2-0 lead before Horsfall pulled a goal back on 77 minutes. Three minutes later Sonupe, who had earlier had a penalty saved, notched the equaliser.

During the closing minutes defender Horsfall was sent off for collecting two yellow cards.

The deadlock enabled Wembley hopefuls Harriers to stretch their impressive unbeaten run to 14 matches in all competitions

Former Trophy winners Kidderminster, who knocked out holders York City in the previous round, made one change from the side which drew 0-0 in an ill-tempered National League North clash at Chorley earlier in the week.

Sam Austin came in for front-runner Andre Brown who was named among the substitutes. Also on the bench was Sonupe following an ankle injury.

Harriers, who won 2-1 in a league match at Edgeley Park in late October thanks to a Joe Ironside brace, made cautious start and it was not until the seventh minute that they worried the visitors’ rear-guard with a fine cross from Austin which was headed over by Dan Bradley. It followed a long range shot from Bradley which was safely dealt with by goalkeeper Ian Ormson.

Stockport responded with a good move which resulted in Stephenson cutting inside and pulling the trigger on a shot which whistled just over the bar.


Shortly afterwards Ormson was called on to save an Elton Ngwatala header following a menacing cross from Lee Vaughan.

Harriers steadily began to cause the Hatters more problems as the first half progressed with the alert Ormson expertly tipping over a fierce 20 drive from Bradley. From the resulting corner Ormson then managed to claw away another effort, this time from Austin.

Stockport, however, were always looking for a way through the home defence and finally broke the deadlock in the 42nd minute when an excellent run and cross by Stephenson was met by Oswell, who scored with a perfectly directed glancing header.

Harriers, who drafted on 11-goal Sonupe at the start of the second half in place of James Pearson, soon began to hunt for an equaliser, but wasted a glorious chance on 57 minutes when they were awarded a penalty after James McQuilkin had been fouled by substitute Harry Winter. Sonupe stepped up to take the kick which he saw well pushed away by Ormson.


Stockport, however, were bang on target in the 70th minute when a corner lead to Stephenson scoring with a low shot on the turn.

Battling Harriers tried hard to reduce the deficit and substitute Brown was unlucky with an effort which struck the post.

Their effort were eventually rewarded when Horsfall headed home a McQuilkin free kick.

Three minutes later it was 2-2 when substitute Liam Truslove gave Sonupe the opportunity to spin around and knock the ball past Ormson.

With three minutes to go Horsfall was given his match orders collecting to yellow cards for separate fouls.


Kidderminster: Hall; Vaughan (Truslove, 76) O’Connor, Horsfall, Pearson (Sonupe, 46); McQuilkin, Croasdale, Ngwatala; Bradley (Bradley, 60), Ironside, Austin. Subs not used: Palmer, Wright.

Stockport: Ormson; Cowan (Winter, 48), Clarke, O’Halloran, Duxbury; Ball, Stopforth; Thomas Stephenson; Turner (McKenna, 59); Oswell |(Dixon, 81). Subs not used: Smith, Downing, Dixon.

Referee: Paul Marsden (Lancs).

Attendance: 1,348 (190 away fans).


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News