Halesowen Town 3 Barton Rovers 1 - Report

Super substitute Luke Yates scored a brace as Halesowen came from behind with three late goals at a gusty Grove.

Halesowen Town 3 Barton Rovers 1
Halesowen Town 3 Barton Rovers 1

Halesowen were on top for the first period but were unable to break down the stubborn Barton defence. Manager Paul Smith admitted the win was "far from pretty, but results are all that matter at this stage and we found a way despite being frustrated in a war of attrition".

Montel Gibson controlled the ball in the penalty area to strike at visiting goalkeeper Niall Cooper in the 6th minute and Gibson did well to set up Robbie Bunn to curl wide two minutes later. Robbie Bunn's shot from the edge of the area was then held by busy Cooper before Barton's first chance came after 16 minutes when captain Victor Osobu's low shot from the left was turned away by goalkeeper Brendon Bunn.

But the Yeltz continued to dominate as Gibson blazed high in the 28th minute and a 30th minute cross-shot from Rob Evans was held well by Cooper.

Before the interval Ash Sammons couldn't quite keep the ball down with his shot after Jordan Piggott headed on a 34th minute corner and Jamie Molyneux's 42nd minute shot was then turned away for the first of three quick-fire corners.

The start of the second half continued in the same way with plenty of congested play on the edge of the Barton area as Molyneux cut in from the left to win a 48th minute corner and Sammons fired over the bar again from 30 yards in the 51st minute. Ahmed Ali played a good 54th minute ball to

Isai Marselia but he was driven wide by Cooper to hit the side-netting and as Halesowen's frustration grew, Molyneux was off target again after 57 minutes.

Barton then picked Halesowen's pockets to snatch a shock 60th minute lead when Dean Dummett headed back a deep cross at the far post and Connor FURLONG slammed into the roof of the net from close range.

Home manager Paul Smith responded with a triple substitution and substitute Luke Yates cut the ball back to Robbie Bunn in the 65th minute but the chance went to waste again before the Yeltz hit three goals in a dramatic end to the game.

Halesowen levelled in the 69th minute when Ali headed back superbly at the far post from Robbie Bunn's corner, allowing YATES to head home from close range.

Lively substitute Jack Holmes struck past the post from 20 yards after 78 minutes and Holmes crossed from the right for Gibson in the 83rd minute, only for Lewis Thomas to clear off the line. Gibson's 84th minute volley was then turned away for a corner by Cooper.

The Yeltz went ahead when Robbie Bunn's 84th minute corner resulted in a goalmouth scramble and YATES bundled home.

Barton had a good late chance with a dangerous cross that just evaded Keanu Williams at the far post in the third minute of injury time but HOLMES made it 3-1 to the Yeltz in the seventh minute of injury time when his low shot from the right found the far corner of Barton's net.

Halesowen Town: Brendon Bunn; Lewis Wright, James Bowen, Ash Sammons (Joshua Hawker 64), Rob Evans (c), Jordan Piggott, Ahmed Ali, Robbie Bunn, Montel Gibson, Isai Marselia (Jack Holmes 64), Jamie Molyneux (Luke Yates 64). Subs

Not Used: Jamie Ashmore, McKauley Manning.

Barton Rovers: Niall Cooper; Jay Palmer (Keanu Williams 76), Jamie Carey-Morrell, Charlie Smith, Kai Phelan, Lewis Thomas, Victor Osobu (c), Dean Dummett (George Boland 89), Ty Ward, Nathan Tshikuna, Connor Furlong.

Subs Not Used: Michael McCormack (GK), Paul Andrews, Connor Vincent.

Referee: Mark Pearson Attendance: 518

Attachments area

Most Read

Most Read

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News