Halesowen Town 4 Aylesbury United 1 - Report

Ahmed Ali marked his debut with a brace as Halesowen kept up the pressure at the top of the table.

Football Stock
Football Stock

Aylesbury arrived at the Grove in fifth place in the league table but were swept aside as Halesowen wrapped up the points with three first-half goals.

Josh Hawker dinked a clever ball over the visiting defence for Montel Gibson to hit over the bar in the fifth minute, but the Yeltz soon went ahead in the seventh minute when returning Ali headed home Hawker's 25 yard free-kick at the back post.

Ken Feyi struck a 14th minute free-kick at home goalkeeper Brendon Bunn, but it was Halesowen who remained comfortably on top during the first half as Gibson stabbed just wide in the 15th minute following a good through ball from Ali.

The Yeltz doubled their lead in the 25th minute after Jamie Ashmore crossed from the right and although Jamie Molyneux missed his shot, Gibson picked up the loose ball to hit a low shot past goalkeeper Jack Hopwood from the edge of the area. In further home pressure, a 25 yard shot from Ashmore was tipped over the bar by Hopwood after 40 minutes.

The hosts made it 3-0 in first half stoppage time when the ball ricocheted off Ali into the net after the visiting defence attempted to clear a left-wing cross.

The points may have already been wrapped up by half-time but Aylesbury worked hard to keep the score down during the second period.

Ali headed wide from Robbie Bunn's 49th minute corner and Molyneux cut in to see his low shot saved by Hopwood four minutes later.

The Ducks then went close when home goalkeeper tipped over a close range header from unmarked Harry Jones in the 54th minute.

Home captain Paul McCone headed wide for the Yeltz after 56 minutes and Molyneux blasted high over the bar after substitute Simeon Cobourne was thwarted on a lightning 59th minute attack.

Aylesbury's Ty Deacon found himself clear on goal in the 63rd minute, only for Brendon Bunn to make a fine blocking save.

The Ducks then pulled a goal back when Deacon was brought down by Hawker and FEYI slammed home from the penalty spot in the 64th minute.

A quickfire cross from substitute Luke Yates was flashed just wide of Aylesbury's goal by Cobourne in the 74th minute and the result was then put beyond any doubt in the 87th minute when Yates crossed again from the right for Robbie Bunn to stab home Halesowen's fourth goal.


Halesowen Town: Brendon Bunn; Jamie Ashmore, James Bowen, Rob Evans, Paul McCone (c), Andrew Parsons (Luke Yates 56), Ahmed Ali, Robbie Bunn, Montel Gibson (Simeon Cobourne 56), Jamie Molyneux, Josh Hawker (Jordan Piggott 85). Subs Not Used: Ash Sammons, McKauley Manning.

Aylesbury United: Jack Hopwood; Anthony Ball, Jake Bewley, Jack Wood (c), Jordan Jenkins, Harry Jones, Ty Deacon, Lewis Osbourne, Ken Feyi, Ben Seaton, Melvy N'Somi (Jacob Hutchinson 77). Sub Not Used: Ben Williams.

Referee: Richard Walker Attendance: 523

Most Read

Most Read

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News