Halesowen Town 7 Lichfield City 1 - Report and pictures

Hat-trick hero Montel Gibson put Halesowen into seventh heaven in a thumping FA Cup victory over Midland Football League Division One outfit Lichfield.

The first real chance of the game came after 13 minutes when Lichfield goalkeeping captain Adam Jenkins made a fine blocking save from Jamie Molyneux. Ashley Sammons soon fired Halesowen into a 16th minute lead with a long range low shot into the corner of Jenkins' net from 28 yards. The Yeltz doubled the lead just two minutes later when Jenkins saved from Robbie Bunn but Molyneux was on hand to slot home his sixth goal of the season. Robbie Bunn's 24th minute shot was then tipped over the bar by Jenkins.

The visitors went close after 26 minutes when Luke Wright was denied by home goalkeeper Brendon Bunn and Paul McCone cleared off the line as Jake Arrowsmith followed up. In further neat play and pressure late in the first half, the visitors forced two consecutive corners with Arrowsmith's header deflected away. Home defender Paul McCone made a good 41st minute block to deny substitute Dan Griffiths before goalkeeper Brendon Bunn kept out Josh Mansell at his near post.

Lichfield pulled a goal back two minutes into first-half stoppage time when James Taylor headed home directly from a Luke Childs corner.

But Halesowen secured a safe passage to the next round by smashing home five further second half goals in a fine display of incisive finishing. Robbie

Bunn made it 3-1 in the 55th minute with his low shot from the edge of the penalty area dribbling into the corner of the net. Two minutes later Gibson started and ended a fine move resulting in Robbie Bunn passing along goal for Gibson to turn home on the goal-line. Gibson and Bunn then both fired further efforts wide before the Lichfield defence was carved open again when Yates was free on goal and side-stepped goalkeeper Jenkins to slot home the fifth goal from a wide angle after 65 minutes.

Plucky Lichfield went close as goalkeeper Bunn made a terrific 68th minute double save to keep out Dan Thurstance and then deny Taylor in space from the rebound. But the Yeltz continued to seek further goals as Sammons hit a good 69th minute effort past the post and Jenkins made a good save from James Bowen's fierce 83rd minute shot.

Gibson controlled and fired home a superb individual goal with a low shot for Halesowen's sixth goal in the 88th minute and Gibson was sent free on goal to beat Jenkins once again to complete his fine hat-trick and the emphatic 7-1 victory in the third minute of added time.


Halesowen Town: Brendon Bunn; Jamie Ashmore, James Bowen, Ashley Sammons, Paul McCone (c), Robert Evans, Joshua Hawker (Reece Hewitt 62), Robbie Bunn, Montel Gibson, Jamie Molyneux (Jamie Lucas 74), Luke Yates (George Forsyth 68). Subs Not Used: Andrew Parsons, Kartel O'Neill-Martin, Daniel Danks, Bradley Catlow (GK).

Lichfield City: Adam Jenkins (c); Josh Mansell, Jordan Evans, Jake Arrowsmith, Luke Wright, Kyle Patterson (Dan Sheppard 74), Dan Thurstance, Tom Brown, James Taylor, Luke Childs, Brad Rolston (Dan Griffiths 9). Subs Not Used: Joel Powell, Dan McLeod, Dan Scragg, Joe Hartshorne, Alex Keating.

Referee: Ruebyn Ricardo Attendance: 635

Most Read

Most Read

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News