Halesowen Town 3 Prescot Cables 2 - Report

Halesowen scored twice in injury time to provide a dramatic climax and avoid a seemingly certain cup upset.

Halesowen Town 3 Prescot Cables 2
Halesowen Town 3 Prescot Cables 2

The Yeltz suffered an early blow when goalkeeper Cameron Gregory pulled up in the warm-up, meaning young stopper Dominic Hill was forced into making his home debut. The hosts then made a poor start as Prescot snatched a 2nd minute lead after Michael Monaghan played the ball in for Josh Klein-Davies to hit a low shot into the corner, leaving Hill with little chance.

However, Hill boosted his confidence by pushing away a 14th minute curling free-kick, but the visitors continued to dominate and could've doubled their lead in the 28th minute when James Edgar squared the ball for Klein-Davies, only for Jack Kelly to make a vital block in front of goal. As the pressure continued, Chris Almond curled wide from a 30th minute corner and Almond glanced wide with a diving header a minute later. A fierce 35th minute shot from Klein-Davies was then beaten away by Hill after the Yeltz defence was caught out.

But Prescot paid the price for failing to secure a second goal when thebYeltz equalised with their first meaningful chance in the 37th minute when new Crewe loanee Lewis Reilly had the simple task of tapping home from close range on his debut after Bradley Lewis helped on Jack Kelly's corner.

Jack Lenehan fired wide for Prescot at the start of the second half and the same player went close by putting the ball past the post after meeting a 54th minute cross from Valter Fernandes.

Prescot deservedly regained the lead in the 67th minute when Klein-Davies smashed home his second goal at the end of a superb passing move forward into the danger area. The tie seemed over when Prescot were awarded a 76th minute penalty after Asa Charlton brought down Monaghan, but young goalkeeper Hill was the home hero when he dived to his right to keep out the resulting spot-kick from Almond.

But the main drama took place with 90 minutes already up on the referee's watch. The Yeltz levelled in the second minute of injury time with a second goal from Reilly from the penalty spot after Prescot goalkeeper Ben Barnes somehow allowed the ball to slip from his grasp on the ground and substitute Roland Agbor was hauled down after nipping in.

Prescot then survived three corners but, as the ball broke free in the fifth minute of added time, Jack Kelly unleashed a terrific 25 yard screamer into the top corner to send Halesowen into the next round against their distraught visitors.


Halesowen Town: Dominic Hill; Bradley Lewis, Jack Kelly, Ivor Lawton, Kieran Morris, Asa Charlton, Tobias Hayles-Docherty, Danny Bragoli (c) (Roland Agbor 73), Lewis Reilly, Dean Hawkshaw, Ravi Shamsi (Aaron Gilpin 58). Subs Not Used: Jack Rea, Thomas Warmer, Sam Tonks.

Prescot Cables: Ben Barnes; Valter Fernandes, James Edgar, James Cooper, Joe Herbert, Aaron Turner (c), Michael Monaghan (Reece Fishwick 84), Jack Lenehan, Josh Klein-Davies, Jordan Wynne, Chris Almond. Subs Not Used: Luke Griffiths, Matt Hamilton, Reece McNally, Jordan Southworth.

Referee: Greg Rollason Attendance: 408

Most Read

Most Read

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News