FA Cup qualifying: Chasetown 1 - 1 Gainsborough Trinity- Report and pictures

By Jamie Brassington | Chasetown FC | Published: | Last Updated:

Chasetown earned a 1-1 draw with Gainsborough Trinity in the FA Cup first qualifying round at home.

Levi Rowley equalised for the home side on 54 minutes after they conceded six minutes earlier from Alex Byrne.

Shot-stopper Curtis Pond pulled off some good saves to deny the visitors while skipper Jack Langston almost lobbed the opposition goalkeeper from long range to take the lead.

The draw means both sides will now face a replay at Gainsborough on Tuesday.

Chasetown welcomed to The Scholars Ground an inform Gainsborough side who have begun the season well.

It only took two minutes for the ball to find the inside of the net, but Gainsborough’s effort was ruled offside in an early let off for the hosts. The chance came from an in-swinging free kick where Gainsborough then put the ball into the bottom corner.

Chasetown shot-stopper Curtis Pond came to the rescue on 12 minutes with a good save to deny the visitors, blocking a shot on goal from a one-on-one effort.

Then it was the host’s turn to have a goal disallowed on 24 minutes, after scoring from an indirect free kick, due to a foul in the process.

Chasetown grew stronger as the half progressed and debutant Sam Luke reacted sharply at left-back to make two good sliding tackles down the right wing, stopping Gainsborough from whipping in a cross.


Minutes later on the other wing, Harry Goode made a great driving run down from right-back and won a free kick after dribbling past two players before being brought down. Danny Cocks stepped up and whipped the free kick in before a scramble ensued but Gainsborough were able to clear the danger.

As the first half approached the final minutes, Cocks won a free kick after chasing down a long ball thumped up field. Cox then crossed in the free kick and skipper Jack Langston glanced the ball just over the crossbar with his head.

In the second half, the game sparked into the life minutes after kick-off with Gainsborough taking the lead through Alex Byrne on 48 minutes. The ball fell kindly to him in the box after a ricochet and he scored from a tight angle.

Pond was called into action minutes later to deny the visitors a second goal. Simon Russell curled a well hit shot into the right corner but Pond tipped the shot wide for a corner.


Chasetown responded quickly though, and on 54 minutes equalised through Levi Rowley, who shot into the corner from inside the box. He struck the effort well, which came after Chasetown caught Gainsborough on the counter-attack.

Alex Simmons set up a great chance for Ross Hannah to score at the other end, finding him in acres of space inside the box, but Hannah could only head the ball straight at Pond in between the sticks.

The game was now in top gear with both teams searching for a winner. Langston nearly scored a spectacular effort after lobbing Jonathan Stewart, who was caught well off his line, from long range but the ball sailed back down just wide of the post, with the home crowd thinking Chasetown had scored.

The Chasetown players were clapped off the pitch at full time by the home crowd after fighting back to keep their FA Cup hopes alive.

Jamie Brassington

By Jamie Brassington
Senior Multi-Media Journalist - @JamieB_Star

Senior reporter at the Express & Star. Contact me at


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News