Advertising

Jason Welborn ready to snatch belt

By Lewis Cox | Boxing | Published:

Jason Welborn is determined to snatch Tommy Langford’s British Middleweight belt head of his Albion showdown with Tommy Langford next month.

Tommy Langford (Weoley Castle) and Jason Welborn (Rowley Regis), getting ready for their fight

The Albion fans go head-to-head in the‘Neutral Ground: Battle of the Baggies’ at the Walsall Town Hall on May 4.

Langford, from Devon, goes by the nickname ‘Baggies Bomber’ while Welborn is from Rowley Regis and has vowed to keep the belt in the Black Country.

Both fighters are delighted to do battle in the region and recognise what is a big event for Midland boxing.

Welborn, aged 31, said: “This is my time. It’s a big show and the fact it’s on here in the Black Country is a big thing. I’m a Black Country lad born-and-bred. This belt is staying in the Black Country with me.”

Langford, 28, was born into a family of Albion fans and goes to every home game.

The fight’s press conference was held at The Hawthorns.

Langford, who won the belt in November 2016 and defended it earlier this year, said: “I’m really looking forward to it.

“I’ve got to hand it to Errol Johnson and BCB for making a great match-up and a great event.

“It’s great for the Black Country and the Midlands. It’s going to be brilliant night for me and my fans and I’m looking forward to putting on a show.

“People talk about Jason being a ‘banger’; he’s got a lower knock our record than me. I give Jason his due, he’s a good fighter when he’s on top but I know one hundred per cent how to deal with him. And I will deal with him.”

Lewis Cox

By Lewis Cox
Trainee Multi-Media Sports Journalist - @lewiscox_star

Sports reporter with the Express & Star and Shropshire Star. Covering Shrewsbury Town and with a keen eye for non-league and grassroots.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

Advertising

UK & International News