Chris Male ditches comeback and retires
Cradley's Chris Male today announced he is retiring from professional boxing rather than stepping back into the ring at Wolverhampton Civic Hall.
Male had been in training for his comeback as the Civic celebrates 70 years of pro boxing on March 9, having lost an English title fight on home soil in November.
But the 30-year-old featherweight has decided to hang up his gloves rather than face Mansfield-based Latvian Pavels Senkovs, who he outpointed back in March 2009.
The punching postman retires with just one defeat on his record, the aforementioned duel for the English crown at Dudley's the Venue, a points defeat to Josh Warrington.
Injuries and cancellations restricted the former British Masters champion to 12 fights since turning pro in September 2008 and the frustration has told on 'the Male Man.'
He said: "When you get to the sort of level I have boxed at, you have to weigh up the pros and cons and I feel it's the right time to call it a day.
"I am just a bit disillusioned with it all, to be honest, it's a tough game and I am not 21 anymore, it's time to move on.
"I was always passionate about the sport and had a lot of respect for it, so it never crossed my mind to be a road fighter.
"I have got a job so I don't need boxing for money and I wasn't doing it for that anyway, I only ever fought on my own terms.
"I feel OK in the gym, physically I am fine, but boxing is a brutal sport and I think it's maybe best to get out before it's too late.
"If there's any doubts in your mind about whether you should be there, it's not the place to be."
Male turned pro at the relatively late age of 26 but had credentials as a former national amateur champion, winning a National Association of Boys Clubs title in 2001.
The seven years since that glory and his first paid contest, where he gave up boxing completely for a time, was perhaps his biggest regret and luck deserted him as a pro.
A Midlands title fight with Del Rogers firstly never got off the ground due to the champion's hesitation, even when the contest was set to be upgraded to the English crown.
Male then twice lined up meetings with Olympian Joe Murray for the English title and was willing to box away from home each time, first in Newport and then in Bolton.
The whole bill was called off the first time against Murray in November 2011 and, the second time around last February, Male heart-breakingly had to pull out injured.
After months recovering from a torn rotator cuff, a match with Jon Fernandes in London was booked for last October, but was scrapped due to poor ticket sales.
Landing a home fight with Warrington worked out better than expected but, by then, Male had spent nearly 17 months out of the ring and it told on fight night.
Male had first been sidelined after badly breaking his hand winning the British Masters belt in June 2010 which, ironically, started the whole sequence of events.
He said: "You have got to be active in this game and on the ball and I lost two years of my career to injuries and cancellations.
"But I had a great time as a pro and I think everyone who has ever watched me fight knows what a good boxer I was.
"And I always did it humbly, I never went around with a big head on my shoulders hanging around the nightclubs.
"I think I have got a lot to be proud of, I came back from two potentially-career threatening injuries to chase that title.
"I have some fantastic memories of life as a pro and I have met stacks of good people."
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.