Sam Eggington makes it two wins in two
Stourbridge's Sam Eggington continues to come of age as one the youngest professional boxers in the country made it two in two in Birmingham.
British Boxing Board of Control rules state that fighters cannot turn pro until they are 18 and Eggington turned 19 last week, having made his debut in September.
As an amateur boxing out of Warley ABC amateur, 'Sam the Man' won two national titles, claiming Clubs for Young People and ABA Novice titles and reaching a junior ABA semi-final.
His pro turn appeared rushed but the father-of-one, a forklift driver by day, looks to have the drive for the paid ranks as evidenced by his welterweight duel at the Holiday Inn on Friday night.
Doncaster's Charlie Thompson was forced back from the bell and showed his durability in the first round, with his legs buckling from a crunching right hook that landed on the button.
A left hook to the temple should have finished him off in the second but Thompson fought back to rock the ribcage of Eggington with a low barrage of right and left hooks in the third.
Eggington tested his chin with a stiff uppercut in the fourth but his opponent stood firm to go the distance, with the Stourbridge combatant declared the victor by three rounds to one, 39-37.
He said: "I like hard fights, I have had two strong opponents so let's see what happens next. In my next fight, I want the same test.
"I was 19 last Monday and it's a good way to celebrate, I am young but I have always been told I am mature, I must feel that to be here.
"I can't wait for the next one, I can fight and hit and when I get sharper I shall be kicking on."
Eggington went away from home on his pro bow and took the undefeated record of Leon Findlay and beat another fighter with three wins on his record this time.
The teenager said: "We were both very busy, I put on a good performance and I came out as the winner. I saw him wobble a bit but he was strong.
"Some of my punches were very clean and I was waiting for him to drop, but he came back stronger and it was hard."
Manchester 'terror attack': Live updates as 19 killed and more than 50 injured in blast after concert
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.