Carlisle 6 Tipton Town 0

Sandwell | Sport | Published:

Tipton's FA Cup fairytale ended in defeat at League One Carlisle as the part-timers' brave fight proved in vain.

Tipton's FA Cup fairytale ended in defeat at League One Carlisle as the part-timers' brave fight proved in vain.

Four goals from striker Gary Madine including a first-half hat-trick killed off the high-flying Midland Alliance outfit, who were playing in the first round for the first time in their history.

But after trailing 5-0 at half-time, the spirited non-league outfit battled gamely to prevent the Cumbrians adding to the scoreline until the 83rd minute.

And they had chances of their own in the closing stages with substitute Cameron Jones twice going close, much to the delight of 374 travelling fans who made the 200-mile trip from the Black Country.

It was 1-0 after six minutes when Dan Parker struggled to cut out Madine's flick-on and Francois Zoko connected with a fantastic lob to beat advancing goalkeeper Matt Sargeant.

The second goal arrived just three minutes later, as the visitors failed to clear their lines and Ben Marshall flashed in a cross for Madine to tap home from a yard.

Carlisle added a third on 12 minutes when a right-wing corner from James Berrett found the unmarked Madine to plant home a bullet header.

It was 4-0 with just 19 minutes on the clock, as Ross Brown could only half-clear another Berrett corner and Zoko sent a volley through a crowd of bodies and past Sargeant.


To Tipton's credit they continued to fight and it took Carlisle another 22 minutes to add to their tally as Tipton fought to keep things respectable.

Sargeant had made a smart save but, from the resulting corner, a clearance by defender John Hill found Madine, whose shot from just inside the box was deflected home for his hat-trick.

The hosts continued to dominate possession after the interval but they were denied a sixth goal just before the hour mark when Sargeant made a fine flying save to keep out Marshall's curling free-kick, which was heading for the top corner.

The visitors continued to frustrate their full-time opponents and even caused a couple of threats of their own.

They forced a corner and a free-kick deep in Carlisle territory and went close when a delicate lob from a tight angle by half-time substitute Jones landed just wide of the far post.

They went even closer with 13 minutes remaining when a corner was flicked on at the near post by fellow substitute Ryan Mosedale and Parker was inches away from connecting with what would have been a far-post tap-in.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News