Iguana escapes on firefighter’s helmet after reptile mat starts house blaze

The incident has been described as ‘unique’ by the local fire service.

Iguana on firefighter's helmet
Iguana on firefighter's helmet

An iguana mounted a daring escape on top of a firefighter’s helmet during a blaze at a house in Northamptonshire.

The agile lizard evaded the flames after a faulty reptile heat mat in the living room of a property in Whitworth Avenue, Corby, started the fire late on Wednesday.

“This was a very unique incident – one that we have never dealt with before,” said a spokeswoman for Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue, who shared a photograph of the incident on Twitter.

“The fireman in the image didn’t realise the iguana had climbed on top of him at first as he initially thought it was a colleague touching his helmet.

“What a surprise he then had to find this iguana chilling on his head, eager to escape the burning building.

“Thankfully there were no injuries to any people or animals as a result of this incident and it is certainly an example of the diversity of a firefighter’s job – every day is definitely different.”

Most Read

Most Read

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News