Advertising

British man killed in militant attack on Nairobi hotel

UK News | Published:

Gunmen stormed the luxury complex in the Kenyan capital on Tuesday afternoon.

Kenya Attack

A Briton is among at least 14 people killed in a militant attack on a luxury hotel and shopping complex in Nairobi.

Gunmen stormed the DusitD2 complex in the Westlands district of the Kenyan capital on Tuesday afternoon, setting off explosions and shooting people.

Announcing the end of the operation to secure the area on Wednesday, Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta said: “All the terrorists have been eliminated.”

Kenya Attack
Security forces help civilians flee the scene in Nairobi, Kenya (Ben Curtis/AP)

In a video posted on Twitter, the UK High Commissioner to Kenya, Nic Hailey, confirmed that at least one British national was killed in the attack.

“Our team at the High Commission was working through the night to support the Kenyan authorities as they responded to this attack and offer all the help we can to all the British nationals who may have been caught up in it,” he said.

“I am very sad to confirm that at least one British national has been killed in the attack.

“We are providing our support to his family and friends at this very difficult time and our thoughts are with them.”

Advertising

The US state department confirmed that an American citizen was also among those killed, but did not release the victim’s identity.

Kenya Attack
Heavy gunfire was heard through the neighbourhood (Ben Curtis/AP)

Special forces were sent into the hotel to flush out the gunmen believed to be holed up inside and the Interior Ministry said the area had been secured on Tuesday night.

However gunfire and another explosion were later reportedly heard at the scene.

Advertising

On Wednesday morning the National Police Service said the area remained “under an active security operation” and ordered people to stay away “until it is declared safe”.

In a televised address later, Mr Kenyatta said more than 700 people were evacuated during the security operation and urged Kenyans to “go back to work without fear”, saying the country was safe for citizens and visitors.

The president said he did not how many attackers were involved.

Al-Shabab – the Somalia-based group that carried out the 2013 Westgate Mall attack in Nairobi in which 67 people died – has claimed responsibility for the atrocity.

Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said on Twitter: “Shocked by dreadful scenes in Nairobi – thoughts and prayers are with those affected.

“Brits in the area should remain vigilant and follow advice of local security authorities.”

The Kenya Red Cross said it was helping families searching for loved ones missing since the attack began.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News