Residents near Grenfell Tower told they face three weeks without mains water
Locals have been told they can go back to neighbouring blocks “at their own risk”.
Residents living near Grenfell Tower say they have been told they face three weeks without mains water in the height of summer if they return to their homes.
Locals who spoke to the Press Association said they had been told they can go back to neighbouring blocks “at their own risk”.
But one mother with several children said she had been told by a Kensington and Chelsea council official she would have to take them to the nearby Westway sports centre to wash them until the mains were turned back on.
The sports centre is being used as the main refuge place for those made homeless by the deadly blaze which killed at least 79 people on Wednesday.
The woman said an expected call on Monday afternoon from an official about temporary accommodation had not come. Since their block was evacuated she had slept in several places, including her car.
She decided on Sunday night to return to their flat.
She said: “We have no water. Do they expect us to live like this for three weeks? An idiot from the council said if we want to wash we should go to the sports centre. For three weeks I have to come here with the children and wash ourselves?”
Her daughter added: “We don’t live in a Third World country, we live in a rich country. They can’t give us a hotel room so we can wash properly.”
The mother also claimed that the morning after the blaze, fire alarms in her block which had been broken for five years, had been fixed.
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.