Advertising

Car cruiser who flouted Black Country ban caught by dash-cam footage

By Thomas Parkes | Bilston | Transport | Published:

A man has been ordered to pay nearly £2,000 after admitting car cruising in the Black Country.

Springvale Avenue in Bilston. Picture: Google

Matthew Horton, from Brierley Hill, pleaded guilty after being caught cruising around Springvale Avenue, in Bilston, last year.

He was fined £1,000 and ordered to pay costs of £931 by the High Court in Birmingham on Thursday after breaching the ban.

Residents in the area heard engine, screeching and cheering noises, and reported it at around 8.45pm on October 14.

A number of breaches of an injunction, put in place by Black Country councils and West Midlands Police, were found after his vehicle’s dashcam was searched.

Five vehicles were involved in the car cruise and were seen overtaking the witness’ vehicle at speed, driving in convoy before heading away onto the Black Country Route.

The 25-year-old, from Gayfield Avenue, previously admitted to breaching the injunction.

Horton was previously been given a warning letter in June 2018 after attending a car cruise at the Old Midlands Bus Depot on Dudley Road, Wolverhampton, on January 26.

His Honour Judge David Worster, sitting as a High Court judge, said: “You’ve done a very stupid thing.

Advertising

“It’s not only a very stupid thing but contrary to an injunction granted by this court and which is well known in the locality.

“You yourself knew about it as you had a warning letter telling you not to do it last year.

“This activity can cause quite serious harm, and the injunction is there to stop people like you causing problems to law abiding citizens.

“If you were causing danger in the street the sentence would have been a custodial one.

Advertising

“You were not, and I am dealing with you in a relatively lenient way, but this order is important and the court will deal with breaches with custodial sentences if appropriate.”

A second defendant, Thomas Dunn of Mayfair, Stourbridge, previously admitted taking part in the same car cruise and will be sentenced by the High Court on April 29.

Lynsey Kelly, Wolverhampton Council’s Head of Community Safety, said: “Car cruising is not only illegal and dangerous – it can put the safety of participants and members of the public at risk – but is also anti-social, generating late-night noise nuisance and disturbances for people living near to hotspots.”

In February it was announced the car cruising ban would remain in place for at least two more years after a High Court judge said he was ‘entirely satisfied’ it should continue

It came into force in February 2015 in Wolverhampton, Dudley, Sandwell and Walsall.

Thomas Parkes

By Thomas Parkes
Trainee Reporter - @TParkes_Star

Trainee reporter at the Express & Star, based in Wolverhampton. Got a story? Get in touch at thomas.parkes@expressandstar.co.uk.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News