Traffic hell as Cannock designer outlet works ramp up
Drivers in Cannock are facing traffic mayhem as a massive £15 million roadworks scheme ramps up.
An 18-month project has got underway which will bring major changes including the widening of the A460 Eastern Way in preparation for the opening of the opening of McArthur Glen retail park, off Lichfield Road.
Motorists have been battling long queues at the roundabouts where the A460 meets the A5, with traffic backing up at peak times.
People have been urged to be patient while the work, which will last until 2020, continues.
According to the council, the work includes:
- Access works and improvements on the A460 Eastern Way, Churchbridge Interchange and Orbital Way
- Widening the A460 Eastern Way to a dual carriageway and creating slip roads to the designer outlet
- Creating a new underpass and access to the site from the A460. New footpaths and cycle ways will also be installed. Before the underpass is built a temporary road will be built so no closures of the A460 are needed during peak times.
- Widening both the eastern and western A460 legs of the Churchbridge Interchange to provide two lanes in both directions
- Widening Orbital Way on the eastbound side, improving the Lodge Lane and Churchbridge roundabouts and installing new toucan crossings on Eastern Way.
The Churchbridge scheme will last until February but work around the retail development will continue for another year. Traffic will be shifted onto a temporary road to ensure the A460 is not closed while the underpass is built.