Smethwick Rolfe Street: 200 people evacuated after 'smouldering' train fire near railway station
Around 200 people were evacuated from a train after 'smouldering' was detected under the engine in Smethwick.
Passengers on the Arriva Trains Wales 5.30am service from Aberystwyth to Birmingham were rushed off the train at Smethwick Rolfe Street after the fire alarm went off and smoke was seen coming from near the engine.
No-one was hurt, and it is believed the fire may have been caused by leaves.
Errol Jones, spokesman for Arriva Trains Wales, said: "The fire alarm went off in the train and the staff immediately initiated safety procedures.
"The train was stopped at Smethwick Rolfe Street and evacuated immediately.
"There were about 200 people on board. It was a four-carriage train. Fortunately it happened at the station so passengers were able to get off onto the platform.
"The fire service was also called. There was smouldering in the vicinity of the engine rather than a fire.
"There were no reported injuries or problems with passengers. Their service was terminated there.
"Most passengers made their way to Smethwick Galton Bridge to continue their journeys. They were either escorted or directed.
"The fire brigade searched for heat but didn't find any major problems.
"The empty train was taken to Shrewsbury for further inspection shortly after 11am."
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.