Advertising

Electric blanket sparked deadly Featherstone caravan fire

News | Published:

An electric blanket sparked a deadly blaze that killed a Wolverhampton Speedway worker in his home, it was revealed today.

Paramedic Shaun Looker took this photo at the caravan park

Dozens of firefighters were called to St James' Caravan Park on New Road, Featherstone, after flames took hold just after midnight on Monday.

Caravan owner Clive Molloy, who worked at Wolverhampton Speedway and was believed to be in his 70s, was killed in the blaze.

Today Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service said an electric blanket was responsible for the fire.

Fire Investigation Officer Tim Hollingworth said: "This was a tragic accident that may have been avoided. We cannot stress enough the importance of ensuring that your electric blanket is safe to use. The consequences of using older or faulty electric blankets can be devastating."

"All older or faulty blankets should be replaced.

"According to the Electrical Safety Council you should think about replacing your electric blanket every 10 years. It is important to get your blanket checked to make sure it is still safe to use – ideally this should be once a year by a competent electrician.

"It isn't just older blankets that can place you at risk. Folding electric blankets can sometimes damage the internal wiring, making them dangerous.

"If in doubt – throw them out. The risks just aren't worth taking."

Two crews from Cannock, one crew from Gnosall and two crews from West Midlands Fire and Rescue Service's Fallings Park station were called to the scene.

To book a free Home Fire Risk Check contact: 0800 0241 999.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

Advertising

UK & International News