Advertising

Carer flew to Jamaica with money she stole from vulnerable clients

Wolverhampton | News | Published:

A carer who stole more than £2,300 from the vulnerable women she was supposed to be looking after has been jailed for six months.

Rosemarie Walker-Detroit from Low Hill spent the cash on a tip to Jamaica, Wolverhampton Crown Court heard.

The 54-year-old, who was working for Accord Group at the time, forged bank letters, took control of her victims' cash cards and withdrew money from their accounts.

Judge Michael Challinor said: "She has targeted vulnerable victims who are easier to dupe.

"These victims knew they had been swindled and it has impacted on their lives. The harm here is the breach of trust, the fact these people were reliant on her care."

Walker-Detroit, of Colley Avenue, was jailed after admitting three counts of fraud spanning March to October last year.

An investigation was launched after a woman in her care, who was in her early 50s and suffering from medical, emotional and financial problems, became suspicious about £750 withdrawn from her account.

After calling the victim's bank, the police became involved and it was discovered Walker-Detroit had taken a total of £1,702.85 from her debit account.

The court heard how a second woman, who was in her 60s and suffering from depression, anxiety and physical health problems, had told the carer about money she had saved in an ISA account. Walker-Detroit then took control of her chip-and-pin entry device and card and stole £643.86.

Advertising

When she was arrested on December 19, police found financial documents relating to both women's accounts, as well as a forged letter purporting to be from Barclays Bank addressed to the second victim.

Daniel Oscroft, defending, said Walker-Detroit had suffered a breakdown following the deaths of both her parents.

Judge Challinor added: "This is a huge fall from grace for you. Someone like you appearing in this court is nothing short of an absolute ship-wreck."

Sara Naylor-Wild, interim director of health, social care and support for the Accord Group, said: "We would like to reassure all of our customers that this was an isolated incident and take matters like this very seriously.

"We have since dismissed the staff member and have worked closely with the police and the customers involved throughout the investigation and have since introduced new and robust measures to ensure this does not happen again."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News