Advertising

JAILED: Staffordshire pensioner with 'insatiable' appetite for child porn

News | Published:

A pensioner with an 'insatiable appetite' for child pornography has been jailed for two years.

Police found tens of thousands of indecent images and movies of youngsters after seizing equipment and DVDs from the home of Christopher Haslewood in Cannock.

They included over 4,500 of the most serious category A images depicting depraved sexual abuse of children.

Mr Alexander Barnfield, prosecuting, said Haslewood openly admitted he had the illegal material for sexual gratification with particular sexual interest in boys aged nine to 13.

Haslewood, aged 68, of Hunter Road, admitted six charges of possessing indecent images of children and one of possessing extreme pornography.

Judge Jonathan Gosling said: "The defendant has an insatiable appetite for material of this type.

"His interest is dark, solitary and secretive."

Along with the jail sentence, Haslewood was also ordered to register as a sex offender for life and made subject to a Sexual Offences Prevention Order, also for life.

Stafford Crown Court heard that Haslewood is a previously convicted sex offender.

Advertising

In 1989 he was jailed for four years for taking indecent photographs of a child while the victim was being abused by another man.

Haslewood also went on to indecently assault young boys himself.

Mr Barnfield said Staffordshire police were tipped off about Haslewood's recent activities by their counterparts in Canada.

Officers carried out a search raid on his home on February 19 last year.

Advertising

They took away two computers, an external hard drive and a number of DVDs.

In total there were around 20,000 accessible images but tens of thousands more had been deleted.

His bank details showed he had spent hundreds of pounds on movies.

When questioned, Haslewood claimed most of the material was old, some of it 15 or 20 years old and he had not looked at it for five years or so.

Mr Stephen Bailey, defending, said Haslewood was not a risk of serious harm to the public.

At the age of 68, he was in a poor state of health, including diabetes.

Although he still had access to some 20,000 images, he had deleted more than six times that number.

He said: "That's consistent with what he said, when he saw images that didn't appeal to him, he deleted them.

"He edited the more serious images of abuse and the more extreme images of children."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News