Built on a stretch of open land in the middle of a housing estate, the stack in Whitehouse Crescent, Ashmore Park, Wednesfield, had initially sparked concerns from public health and safety bosses that it was unsafe and could be a hazard.
However, after being lit over three consecutive days, council workers were quick to act in removing any leftover debris and clearing the area.
Hordes of people had added rubbish, broken furniture and other unwanted fly-tipped household items to the wood pile that local people started building as early as September.
Councillor Phil Bateman, for Wednesfield North, said: “I asked the city council to clear away any residue or rubbish that was left behind after the bonfire, and am very pleased to see that it has acted swiftly in addressing the matter. That clean-up has been well received.
“There has been three bonfires at the site in three days, and now the local residents are concerned about the frequency of the event.
“If a bonfire is held on the site next year, I have already been told by officials that the organisation will have to be much better. This event is not without local criticism.
“CCTV cameras in the street caught at least two vehicles fly-tipping, and I understand that this has caused much concern.
“I’m told the stack was lit over three days – Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. When I first saw the pile I had a lot of concerns about the size of it and some of the contents that had been heaped onto the stack. The area was a complete mess.
“The local community have held a fire on this site previously, and preparations began very early this year – far too early in my opinion,” he added.
“I warned city safety officials and am relieved and pleased to see that they got on to the matter very quickly and have cleared all the remaining debris away. The site looks much better now.”