Dangers of fireworks highlighted after stray rocket believed to have caused house fire

The dangers of fireworks have been highlighted after a stray rocket is believed to have caused a house fire.

The back of the house has suffered the worst of the fire, with fire damage and windows boarded up
The back of the house has suffered the worst of the fire, with fire damage and windows boarded up

Emergency crews were called to the fire at Oakley Road in the Penn area of Wolverhampton after a firework went through an upstairs window.

The blaze left the house with significant fire and smoke damage and an acrid smell of burning still hanging in the air around the house.

And with Diwali celebrations continuing this weekend, a plea today went out for families to take care when letting off fireworks.

There is noticeable smoke and fire damage around the house

Neighbours and residents living near the house have spoken about the fire and how they felt about fireworks in the aftermath of what had happened.

Tayyaba Bukhari lives next door to the house and the 31-year-old spoke about the moment she realised her neighbours house was on fire.

She said: “I was sitting in my house and saw a lot of smoke outside, so I thought someone was doing a bonfire for fireworks night.

The house is currently empty, with a fire and rescue tape outside

“Suddenly, there was a banging on my door and someone telling me that I have to get out now, which I initially refused to do as my husband was out and I have two young children.

“I then saw the smoke coming from the house and realised what was happening, so got my children and we ran out of the house.”

Mrs Bukhari said she had suffered from smoke inhalation after running out of the property and was tended to by ambulance staff.

The front windows are currently blackened

She said: “I have been cleaning my walls and furniture as they’re all black from the smoke from the fire, which isn’t too bad as it could have been a lot worse.

“I’m more concerned about fireworks and the damage they can do, because if a small thing can cause damage like that, they need to be regulated better.”

Other residents on the street shared Mrs Bukhari’s views on fireworks following the fire last weekend.

There is still a smell of burning in the air around the house

One resident, who didn’t want to be named, said he had spoken to the owner of the house the day after the fire about what had happened.

He said: “He told me that he went out for about 15 minutes on Saturday evening and then came back to find his house was on fire.

Fire-damaged parts of the house have been left outside the house

"He and his family have moved out for the time-being and are staying in a hotel nearby.

“I think they’re just looking at whether they can get it fixed or not.”

Most Read

Most Read

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News