Advertising

Homes evacuated after wheelie bin fire sparks gas alert

By Harriet Evans | Penn | News | Published:

People were evacuated from homes on a Wolverhampton street after fire spread to a gas pipe.

Firefighters at the scene in Wolverhampton (Picture: Wton Fire)

Two houses were evacuated after a fire was started in a wheelie bin near to one of the homes.

Flames spread to a nearby gas pipe prompting a crew from Wolverhampton Fire Station to attend.

Firefighters arrived in North Green, in Upper Penn, at 7.30am and the road was blocked off.

Firefighters at the scene in Wolverhampton (Picture: Wton Fire)

Residents sheltered in neighbours' homes while firefighters dealt with the incident, said West Midlands Fire Service.

No one was injured.

The crew managed to extinguish the fire and have handed over to gas engineers from the supplier, Cadent Gas.

Some external damage has been caused to the property and the bin has been destroyed.

Crews have now left the street and North Green has reopened.

Harriet Evans

By Harriet Evans
Community Reporter - @HarrietEvans_ES

Community Reporter at the Express & Star, covering the issues affecting young people across the Black Country and Staffordshire. Contact me at harriet.evans@expressandstar.co.uk

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

Advertising

UK & International News