Anger as dad dies after family 'told to call 999' following collapse outside hospital
The daughter of a man who died after collapsing outside New Cross A&E department says the hospital failed him by refusing to treat him until he was moved inside.
Paul James, 55, collapsed outside the entrance to New Cross Hospital's A&E department in Wolverhampton on Sunday October 13.
His 20-year-old daughter Megan James, who had accompanied her father to the hospital, rushed inside to try and get help but was told that staff were not allowed to help him outside and told her to find an ambulance.
The father-of-10 from Wolverhampton had gone to New Cross Hospital that day with stomach pains and had been prescribed painkillers and discharged.
But as he was leaving the hospital, he collapsed a few feet outside the door and his daughter ran to get the receptionists to call for help only to be told doctors couldn't help him outside the building.
She said a receptionist told her to find an ambulance or bring him inside the department herself.
Eventually a security guard helped Megan get Mr James into a wheelchair and inside the hospital but he died shortly afterwards.
Speaking to the Express & Star, Miss James said: "When we were walking out of hospital, we sat outside and my dad said his chest was tightening, that he needed help – and he collapsed.
"The receptionist said if I wanted help I would need to get an ambulance or pick him up and bring him in myself.
"A security guard then came to help and lifted him into a wheelchair and took him into the A&E."
Despite staff then carrying out CPR in the department, Mr James passed away shortly afterwards.
Miss James added: "I feel broken – I have lost my dad. The hospital failed him."
Mr James' partner Emma Machin, 32, said: "
She was running around frantically, screaming – she was by herself. A security guard then came to help her and got Paul into a wheelchair. He was lifeless. They tried to do CPR but it was too late.
"A serious investigation is now going on at the hospital. He went there for help and was refused.
"Everyone is just devastated, it all happened so quickly."
A spokesman for the Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust, which runs New Cross Hospital, said they are working to understand what happened to Mr James.
"Our condolences are with Mr James’ family," they added.
"At this stage we are actively working to understand what happened to Mr James and his death has been reported to the coroner.”
A Go Fund Me page has since been set up to raise £3,000 to support his family with costs for Paul's funeral. By Monday afternoon £800 had been raised.
The page states: "As you all may know on on Sunday, October 13, Paul James sadly passed away. This came as a complete shock and has left his family utterly devastated and heartbroken.
"No words can help take away the pain Paul's family are feeling right now so I wanted to help by setting this page up to try and ease some of the financial worries they are now faced with.
"Paul was a great man, loved by many, and to all that knew him, knew he had a heart of gold – full of love for his family and friends and was always there for everyone when they needed him.
"Lets all get together and give Paul the best send of he truly deserves. Rest easy Paul. You will be sadly missed."
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.