Plans to build 365 homes on former Stafford factory site set to be approved

Plans are set to be approved for more than 350 new homes on a former factory site in Stafford.

The former General Electic/Alstom Site off Lichfield Road, Stafford. Photo: Google
The former General Electic/Alstom Site off Lichfield Road, Stafford. Photo: Google

Developer St Modwen unveiled plans in late 2019 for the General Electric/Alstom site off Lichfield Road just months after securing planning permission for up to 430 homes on the old Areva site off nearby Fairway.

Demolition of the former factory off Lichfield Road was completed earlier this year.

On Friday members of Stafford Council’s planning committee will visit the site before considering an outline application to build up to 365 new homes.

The plans have been recommended for approval by planning officers, subject to conditions including providing affordable housing onsite and a contribution towards primary school education off-site.

A report to the planning committee said: “The council’s housing team have advised that 30 per cent of the development should be affordable housing, equating to 109 units. They have also advised that the affordable homes should be 80 per cent social rent (88 units), 20 per cent intermediate affordable (21 units).

“The housing team also advise that there is a shortfall of one- and two-bed properties, and an oversupply of three-bed properties. As this is an outline application the final housing mix would be considered at reserved matters stage.

“The county council have advised that the erection of 365 dwellings would create a requirement for 77 primary school places, 52 secondary places and 10 post-16 places. The proportionate cost from this development for facilitating the delivery of such is £1,903,633, with £1,013,705 required towards the provision of additional primary places (and) £889,928 required towards the cost of a new secondary school.

An illustrative layout of the proposed development of the site off Lichfield Road, Stafford, that was submitted to Stafford Council

“In conclusion this development, whilst resulting in the loss of an employment site, is considered to be an acceptable housing site and the proposal is considered to be acceptable in principle. The indicative layout and detailed submission demonstrates that the proposed quantum of development could be accommodated whilst providing sufficient open space, residential amenity and flood attenuation areas.”

But Forebridge ward councillor Chris Baron has called in the application due to over intensification of the site.

And 44 residents have put forward responses borough council. Concerns have been raised about the safety of the proposed access off Ranshaw Drive, impact on local services such as schools and healthcare and parking issues.

Others have supported the reuse of a brownfield site however and said the former factory was an eyesore.

Most Read

Most Read

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News