Advertising

Early-hours stove blaze tears through bungalow roof

By Charlotte Callear | Stafford | News | Published:

A ceiling collapsed as flames tore through the roof of a bungalow in a fire linked to a dual fuel-burning stove.

A bungalow in Long Lane, Derrington, was damaged in the fire

The occupiers smelt smoke at their home near Stafford in the early hours and at first believed it was coming from down the road but then noticed it was 'unusually warm'.

They evacuated the bungalow in Long Lane, Derrington, when their smoke alarm went off and crews from Stafford, Stone and Eccleshall tackled the blaze.

The firefighters were called at around 1.30am on Saturday and used a hose-reel jet and two firefighters wore breathing apparatus to put out the fire, which started in the ceiling space between the living room and bedroom.

Station Manager Simon Craythorn said: “This incident involved heat conduction from a dual fuel burner which caused a fire to develop in the floor space of the bedroom.

“The residents had noticed their room was unusually warm and moved to a different bedroom.

"The fire was mainly confined to the bedroom but the floor collapsed into the lounge and the flames broke through the roof of the dormer bungalow.

"The crews quickly got the incident under control and managed to save a large amount of the property.

“We encourage everyone to check their burners for any damage and ensure they are well maintained.

Advertising

"This advice goes for any type of heaters or electric blankets.

"With winter coming this is the ideal time to check over these items and ensure your home is safe.

“Fortunately no one was injured during this fire as the residents left the property and called the fire service.

"This is exactly what we encourage people to do in a fire, get out and stay out.”

For fire safety advice visit www.staffordshirefire.gov.uk/your-safety/safety-at-home/ or call the free Community Advice Team on 0800 0241 999.

Charlotte Callear

By Charlotte Callear
@CCallear_Star

Reporter based at the Express & Star's Wolverhampton head office

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News