Heartache as mother’s businesses destroyed in garden shed blaze

A mother-of-two says she is “lost for words” after a fire destroyed her business.

Laura McClure has been left devastated after the craft business set up in her garden was destroyed by fire
Laura McClure has been left devastated after the craft business set up in her garden was destroyed by fire

Laura McClure, 34, from Perton, has worked tirelessly for the past two years to build up her business, Engraved By Heart, which she ran from a custom-built shed in her garden.

She is now also home schooling her two children, aged 10 and eight, due to Covid-19.

On Monday, while she was crafting her last order – a laser engraved wooden clock – her youngest daughter began to cry as she was struggling with her maths work.

Laura went into the house to help her daughter with the problem and was away for a matter of minutes, when her neighbour alerted her to a fire which had broken out in her workshop.

Laura said: “In the space of me working out six times by four, my next door neighbour was banging on the window.

“I will never get the image out of my head, but he was just pointing.

“My shed and the whole back garden was in huge flames.

“If I hadn’t left the shed, I could’ve been in there, that’s why the neighbour was petrified.

“He thought I was still inside, it just went up so fast. I have lost everything, it is just devastating.”

The fire marshal has since said the blaze was caused by a laser fault.

Shaking

In November, Laura took the laser to be repaired as it was faulty. However, after it was fixed it continued to trip the electricity in her home, so she took it to get fixed again two months ago.

Laura added: “I’ve had that laser for three years and had no problems, then I get it fixed twice and this happens.

“There’s no insurance that covers it, I’ve lost my business and my complete income.

“My eldest is asking me how we are going to afford to eat.

“Both of them don’t want to go into the garden, they were so terrified after they saw the flames. They were shaking so badly and still haven’t slept.

“Luckily the fire didn’t catch the house, but it did catch the other shed.

“We’ve lost all our garden furniture and the kids outdoor toys and it has cracked the conservatory windows, as well as warping and discolouring it.

“Two years of heartbreak, late nights, struggles and joys I put into this business have all gone.

“I have no words, I never ask for help, but now I really am asking for help because I am lost.”

Laura's friend Gemma Cannavan has set up a fundraiser to support the family and help them get back on their feet. To donate, visit her JustGiving page.

Most Read

Most Read

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News