Advertising

Residents flee fire which damages roof of home

By Liam Keen | South Staffordshire | News | Published:

A fire ripped through the roof of a house near Wolverhampton.

Crews at the scene of the house fire. Picture: Staffordshire Fire Service

Emergency services were called to a house, in Turnberry Road, Perton, on Sunday evening after the building's roof caught fire.

The fire was caused by an 'electrical issue' and is not being treated as suspicious.

Staffordshire Fire Service officials praised the occupants of the house for following guidelines in a fire emergency, to get out of the building, stay out and then dial 999.

A spokesperson for Staffordshire Fire Service said: "The fire was an accident and caused by an electrical issue and a hose reel jet was used to tackle the blaze.

"The occupants did the right thing by leaving the property, staying outside and calling the emergency services."

Firefighters used breathing apparatus to allow them to get close enough to extinguish the blaze which started at around 9.40pm. No injuries were reported.

Crews from Codsall, Wolverhampton and Tettenhall stations were among those to attend. It was extinguished by 1.10 this morning.

This comes after Staffordshire Fire Service started the 'get out, stay out' campaign earlier this year.

The campaign encouraged people to leave the building in the case of a fire and not try to go back inside to deal with the fire themselves or retrieve belongings.

The fire service also shared expertise on buying the best fire alarms and checking them weekly as well as planning an escape route that all occupants are familiar with.

Liam Keen

By Liam Keen
Reporter - @LiamKeen_Star

Trainee reporter at the Express & Star, primarily covering Wolverhampton. Got a story? Get in touch on 01902 319688.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

Advertising

UK & International News